IMAP details for xxx.ias@eircom.net email address

Paul V de lacy

Aug 31, 2011, 6:15:19 AM8/31/11
to cesi-list

Hi,

Our school email address is schooln...@eircom.net

We currently use Outlook Express to access the emails.  As Outlook Express is currently set up with POP3 information when one PC downloads the emails they are taken off the server completely.

What we would like to do is set up IMAP information in Outlook Express so that the emails are downloaded but also left on the server for the other teachers to be able to download too.

I have called the NCTE helpdesk but they don't deal with xxx...@eircom.net email account set-ups.

Where could I access such information as on www.eircom.net only the POP3 settings are provided.

Thanks and regards

Paul

G P Ashe

Aug 31, 2011, 6:21:01 AM8/31/11
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Pretty sure that Eircom does not support IMAP )-:

Attempts to use the list for commercial purposes may result removal from the list.

nils

Aug 31, 2011, 6:39:33 AM8/31/11
to cesi...@googlegroups.com, pa...@ireland.com
Hi,

There are 2 possible ways around this.

1. Use your website hosting account and set up email
yourname@domain_name.tld as most website ISP support IMAP (blacknight
for one) setup a forwarder in your eircom account to forward mail to
your new email address, You will then be able to setup an IMAP account
for your new email.

2. Setup a Gmail account and enable IMAP (setting panel) and forward
all mail to this account.

Let me know if you need any more information on how to set this up.

Regards,

Nils

Peter O'Callaghan

Aug 31, 2011, 6:41:12 AM8/31/11
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know eircom doesnt do IMAP, You could turn on the "leave a copy of messages on server" in Outlook express

Tools menu --> Accounts
Double click mail account in question
Advanced tab
Check box labeled "leave a copy of messages on server"

Do this on each machine you want to check the account from.

Not quite as nice as IMAP but should work for you.

Regards

Peter O'Callaghan

Mobile 085 7133521

pe...@peterocallaghan.com

http://www.peterocallaghan.com

Peter O'Callaghan Computer Services
9 Upper Patrick Street,

Kilkenny.

Repairs.
Upgrades.
Virus and spyware removal.
Callouts available.

att87d25.JPG

Leslie Turner

Aug 31, 2011, 6:40:51 AM8/31/11
to cesi...@googlegroups.com

Hi Paul,

Eircom have 2 systems, old and new. If you account was setup more than 3 years ago then you are probably on the old system – this does not support imap.

The way around this with your current pop3 setup is to go to Tools > Accounts > Click the Advanced tab and there should be an option to tick a box for

Leave a copy of email on the server. This will mimic the imap setting and allow you to setup the email account on other computers. You need to make sure to tick the setting on all computers.

The old system provided I think 5 or 10Mb of storage for emails, so what will happen is the inbox will fill up (because you are leaving the messages on the server). What you need to do on ONLY one computer is to tick the box just under leave a copy of messages on the server to remove messages after X amount of days. 7 or 5 days is usually enough.

So as long as each computer you have set the email account up on Send/Receives email within 7 days, it will get a copy of all emails.

Hopefully I have explained this ok.

Regards,

Leslie.

Managing Director | LinkWise

T: +353 (0)59 9137528 | Unit 1, Clonmore Industrial Estate, Killeshin, Carlow, Ireland.

M: +353 (0)87 8516610 | E: ltu...@linkwise.ie | W: www.linkwise.ie

Linkedin: http://ie.linkedin.com/pub/leslie-turner/31/289/17a

SchoolWise | The Complete Website and Virtual Learning Environment for Schools

www.schoolwise.ie

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6423 (20110830) __________

http://www.eset.com

Paul V de lacy

Sep 4, 2011, 11:40:18 AM9/4/11
to cesi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Thanks to all for your assistance with this.  Might go the Google route

Paul