Certificate Transparency in an internal network

Jorge Cuadrado

Jun 14, 2017, 9:20:05 AM6/14/17
to certificate-transparency
 Hi,

I would like to know if it's possible to use Chrome browser auditor with a log server which runs in an internal network which doesn't have internet connection.

I don't know if it's possible to add the internal log server to the Chrome browser using and extension, script or configuration.

Thanks!

Rob Percival

Jun 14, 2017, 10:27:26 AM6/14/17
to certificate-...@googlegroups.com
There's currently no way to add additional CT logs to Chrome, short of recompiling it. May I ask why you want to add one?

Jorge Cuadrado

Rob Percival

Jun 14, 2017, 12:51:44 PM6/14/17
to certificate-transparency
Chrome doesn't communicate with the CT logs while verifying a certificate. It simply checks that sufficient valid SCTs (Signed Certificate Timestamps) were provided, either embedded in the certificate, provided by the web server (via a TLS extension) or provided by the CA (via an OCSP extension). Therefore, it should work even on a network that has no internet connection.

Kurt Roeckx

Jun 14, 2017, 2:59:15 PM6/14/17
On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 08:47:07AM -0700, Jorge Cuadrado wrote:
> The matter is how to avoid the Chrome warning when it starts to use CT by
> default since in an internal network won't be possible to comunicate with
> the log servers. So I'm wondering if it's possible to deploy my own
> internal log server or disable CT check for some domains with a chrome
> extension or a script.

I think that Chrome doesn't have CT requirements for CAs that you
add manually, so there shouldn't be a CT requirement for internal
only CAs.

Kurt

Ben Laurie

Jun 15, 2017, 8:34:42 AM6/15/17