Funding CT Logs - Where Do The Dollars Come From?

aa_kira

Jan 20, 2017, 12:55:10 AM1/20/17
to certificate-transparency

If the goal of having CAs make CT logs publicly available, ostensibly free of charge, where does the money come from to pay for the additional upkeep and operation of these logs?  It seems counterintuitive to charge fees to view these public logs (this is being proposed by several entities) but where should these CAs/organizations look to get $$$ to fund their logs?

Salz, Rich

Jan 20, 2017, 8:41:38 AM1/20/17
to certificate-...@googlegroups.com

Interesting question.

So far we’ve seen

-          Companies ‘just doing it’ as the cost of business, for the good of the Internet, etc – e.g., the Google logs

-          CA’s running it for their own certs, as part of the cost of doing business in the “CT world”

-          Subscription logs, where a CA pays the log operator to get their certs listed

I don’t think we’ve seen any “pay to use” logs.

--

Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies

Member, OpenSSL Dev Team

IM: rich...@jabber.at Twitter: RichSalz

Ben Laurie

Jan 20, 2017, 8:57:34 AM1/20/17
On 20 January 2017 at 13:41, Salz, Rich <rs...@akamai.com> wrote:
> Interesting question.
>

> So far we’ve seen
>
> - Companies ‘just doing it’ as the cost of business, for the good
> of the Internet, etc – e.g., the Google logs
>
> - CA’s running it for their own certs, as part of the cost of doing
> business in the “CT world”
>
> - Subscription logs, where a CA pays the log operator to get their
> certs listed
>

> I don’t think we’ve seen any “pay to use” logs.

They wouldn't be much use, since the Chrome CT policy forbids it.

> --
>
> Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
>
> Member, OpenSSL Dev Team
>
> IM: rich...@jabber.at Twitter: RichSalz

Salz, Rich

Jan 20, 2017, 8:58:43 AM1/20/17
to certificate-...@googlegroups.com
> > I don’t think we’ve seen any “pay to use” logs.
>
> They wouldn't be much use, since the Chrome CT policy forbids it.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy :)

Mozilla's current policy drafts don't seem to preclude this.

Eran Messeri

Jan 23, 2017, 6:58:34 AM1/23/17

On Friday, 20 January 2017 13:57:34 UTC, Ben Laurie wrote:
On 20 January 2017 at 13:41, Salz, Rich <rs...@akamai.com> wrote:
> Interesting question.
>

> So far we’ve seen
>
> -          Companies ‘just doing it’ as the cost of business, for the good
> of the Internet, etc – e.g., the Google logs
>
> -          CA’s running it for their own certs, as part of the cost of doing
> business in the “CT world”
>
> -          Subscription logs, where a CA pays the log operator to get their
> certs listed
>

> I don’t think we’ve seen any “pay to use” logs.

They wouldn't be much use, since the Chrome CT policy forbids it.
What do you base this on?

My understanding is different: It's acceptable for a log to charge a CA for submissions after accepting them, but not acceptable for a log to selectively reject submissions that chain to a trust anchor it publishes as acceptable via get-roots.

> --
>
> Senior Architect, Akamai Technologies
>
> Member, OpenSSL Dev Team
>
> IM: rich...@jabber.at Twitter: RichSalz

aa_kira

Jan 23, 2017, 4:19:53 PM1/23/17
to certificate-transparency
Is it acceptable?  The CT Log Policy states:  "Log Operators must: ... Not impose conditions on retrieving or sharing data from the Log."  Does the fact that the word "accepting" is not part of this exclusion allow for CAs operating CT logs to charge other CAs (or other non-CA entities) for appending to their logs?

Ben Laurie

Jan 25, 2017, 12:06:53 PM1/25/17
to certificate-...@googlegroups.com
On 23 January 2017 at 11:58, 'Eran Messeri' via
certificate-transparency <certificate-...@googlegroups.com>
wrote:

> On Friday, 20 January 2017 13:57:34 UTC, Ben Laurie wrote:
>>
>> On 20 January 2017 at 13:41, Salz, Rich <rs...@akamai.com> wrote:
>> > Interesting question.
>> >

>> > So far we’ve seen
>> >
>> > - Companies ‘just doing it’ as the cost of business, for the
>> > good
>> > of the Internet, etc – e.g., the Google logs
>> >
>> > - CA’s running it for their own certs, as part of the cost of
>> > doing
>> > business in the “CT world”
>> >
>> > - Subscription logs, where a CA pays the log operator to get
>> > their
>> > certs listed
>> >

>> > I don’t think we’ve seen any “pay to use” logs.
>>
>> They wouldn't be much use, since the Chrome CT policy forbids it.
>
> What do you base this on?
>
> My understanding is different: It's acceptable for a log to charge a CA for
> submissions after accepting them, but not acceptable for a log to
> selectively reject submissions that chain to a trust anchor it publishes as
> acceptable via get-roots.

I meant it forbids charging for retrieving from the logs. As you say,
CAs (or anyone else) can be charged for submitting to a log as it
stands.