How does public log perform internal search?

Omolola Olamide

Mar 1, 2018, 5:58:51 AM3/1/18
to certificate-transparency
Suppose a client desires to validate a SCT from the Log, How does the log validate and search for the appropriate certificate once it is contacted? Searching a Merkle tree involves going over the leaves one by one. Is this also what the Log does?

Pierre Phaneuf

Mar 1, 2018, 9:19:46 AM3/1/18
to certificate-transparency
Most log implementations use an index of leaf hashes to Merkle tree
index number, to help implement the get-proof-by-hash endpoint
(section 4.5 of RFC 6962).

See this, for example:

https://github.com/google/certificate-transparency/blob/master/cpp/log/log_lookup.cc#L212

Omolola Olamide

Mar 6, 2018, 4:20:43 PM3/6/18
to certificate-transparency
Thank you so much. I have been searching for this

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 3:19:46 PM UTC+1, Pierre Phaneuf wrote:
Most log implementations use an index of leaf hashes to Merkle tree
index number, to help implement the get-proof-by-hash endpoint
(section 4.5 of RFC 6962).

See this, for example:

https://github.com/google/certificate-transparency/blob/master/cpp/log/log_lookup.cc#L212