TBB in Ceres

Sameer Agarwal

Sep 25, 2017, 12:09:46 PM9/25/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Yury Prokazov's patch adding Intel Thread Building Block support has been checked in.

It will allow folks working with compiler toolchains without openmp support (clang I am looking at you) to use threading in ceres.

Currently enabling TBB also requires that you enable C++11.  We may look into, lowering these requirements to C++98.

Please give it a whirl and let us know how it works for you.
Sameer

Johannes Schönberger

Oct 10, 2017, 2:36:59 PM10/10/17
to Ceres Solver
Hi Sameer,

This is great news. It would be great, if Ceres exported the CERES_NO_THREADS in the CMakeConfig.cmake, so that it is easier to detect when the number of threads can be set to > 1. Otherwise, Ceres logs warnings when the *num_threads options is > 1 but threading is not available.

Cheers,
Johannes

Johannes Schönberger

Oct 10, 2017, 2:39:46 PM10/10/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
I am a little short on time at the moment, but I can try to submit a commit to address this in a few weeks, if nobody came around doing it in the meantime.

Cheers,
Johannes

Sameer Agarwal

Oct 10, 2017, 5:42:48 PM10/10/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Johannes,  happy to have a CL whenever you can send it!