Is Metis needed?

Daniel Herrera C

May 6, 2015, 6:04:16 PM5/6/15
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm using ceres in windows. SuiteSparse builds fine with the suitesparse-metis-for-windows project but I just noticed that it is not using metis. Does this affect ceres or can metis be left out without any performance hit?
Thanks, D.

Sameer Agarwal

May 6, 2015, 6:05:54 PM5/6/15
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
depends on the sparsity of your matrix. If nested dissection will actually help you.
though metis has really weird memory consumption behaviour and it can take the whole solver down - suitesparse tries to work around it. Generally speaking AMD gives pretty decent performance and you can stay away from metis.
Sameer

Daniel Herrera C

May 7, 2015, 4:30:58 AM5/7/15
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Alright. Sounds like I can survive without it. Thanks.
D.