BFGS inverse Hessian

pa...@soe.ucsc.edu

May 23, 2017, 4:54:37 PM5/23/17
to Ceres Solver

Hi Everyone,

It is useful to have access to the inverse Hessian matrix while using the BFGS line search direction type unconstrained minimization.

Is there a way to access this member of the BFGS class from the API?

Best,
--Panos

Sameer Agarwal

May 23, 2017, 4:56:11 PM5/23/17
to Ceres Solver
Panos,
Do you mean the final estimate after the call to Solve?
If so, Alex has a prototype

Sameer

Panos Lambrianides

May 23, 2017, 5:01:35 PM5/23/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Yes that is correct-I need the final estimate.  Sorry for not being clear.  Thank you for the code snippet.

I also hacked the code to do the same but it looks like Alex's solution is more elegant.
Just as a comment this is a useful feature for research purposes.

Best,
--P.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 1:54 PM <pa...@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:

Hi Everyone,

It is useful to have access to the inverse Hessian matrix while using the BFGS line search direction type unconstrained minimization.

Is there a way to access this member of the BFGS class from the API?

Best,
--Panos

Sameer Agarwal

May 23, 2017, 5:02:29 PM5/23/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Panos,
What are you using this for?
Sameer

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:01 PM Panos Lambrianides <pa...@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
[...]

Panos Lambrianides

May 23, 2017, 5:18:49 PM5/23/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
I am approximating a high dimensional function with a gaussian and then finding the minimum of the negative log likelihood.  I would like to get the covariance matrix without explicitly inverting the Hessian, if possible, because that is an expensive operation.

Sameer Agarwal

May 23, 2017, 5:22:31 PM5/23/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
and it is okay that the approximation to the covariance matrix is so low rank?

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM Panos Lambrianides <pa...@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
I am approximating a high dimensional function with a gaussian and then finding the minimum of the negative log likelihood.  I would like to get the covariance matrix without explicitly inverting the Hessian, if possible, because that is an expensive operation.

Panos Lambrianides

May 23, 2017, 5:28:57 PM5/23/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
It may be OK for my purposes yes.  I am not sure yet which is why I am trying it out.

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:22 PM, 'Sameer Agarwal' via Ceres Solver <ceres-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
and it is okay that the approximation to the covariance matrix is so low rank?

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 2:18 PM Panos Lambrianides <pa...@soe.ucsc.edu> wrote:
I am approximating a high dimensional function with a gaussian and then finding the minimum of the negative log likelihood.  I would like to get the covariance matrix without explicitly inverting the Hessian, if possible, because that is an expensive operation.

Sameer Agarwal

Panos Lambrianides

Sameer Agarwal

May 23, 2017, 7:55:19 PM5/23/17
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link
Let us know if it works for you, and alex and I will take it from there.