Will the parameters be strictly constrained inside their [lower, upper] bounds if provided?

Chi Zhang

Aug 2, 2016, 7:41:01 AM8/2/16
to Ceres Solver
Hi,

I'm using Ceres on a bundle adjustment problem, in which I have allowed the camera positions to perturb only within a small radius around their initial values using SetParameterLowerBound and SetParameterUpperBound.

However for different scales of the radius, I always found some optimized parameters had gone slightly beyond the allowed values. The amount of the ''overflows'' w.r.t. the [lower, upper] bounds seem proportional to the scale of its radius (i.e. 0.5 * (upper - lower)).

What mechanism does Ceres use to constrain its parameters inside their [lower, upper] bounds? Will the parameters lie strictly inside [lower, upper] after optimization? Or would this be caused by potential bugs in my code?

Best,
Chi

Sameer Agarwal

Aug 2, 2016, 7:51:22 AM8/2/16
to Ceres Solver

Chi,
The optimized values should always lie in the interval. Anything else is a bug.
Sameer

Chi Zhang

Aug 3, 2016, 7:20:00 AM8/3/16
to Ceres Solver