Update installation instructions for Ubuntu 14.04

Filippo Basso

Jan 23, 2015, 11:30:25 AM1/23/15
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody,
I've seen that the installation instructions for Linux (Ubuntu) are not updated to the latest LTS release (14.04).
In fact, such distribution provides repositories for both glog and gflags.
Moreover, since the default libsuitesparse is still compiled without the -fPIC option, there exists an external repository the provides a recompiled version with the -fPIC option set (as described here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/suitesparse/+bug/1333214).
The instructions would therefore become:

# CMake
sudo apt-get install cmake
# google-glog + gflags
sudo apt-get install libgoogle-glog-dev
# BLAS & LAPACK
sudo apt-get install libatlas-base-dev
# Eigen3
sudo apt-get install libeigen3-dev
# SuiteSparse and CXSparse (optional)
# - If you want to build Ceres as a *static* library (the default)
#   you can use the SuiteSparse package in the main Ubuntu package
#   repository:
sudo apt-get install libsuitesparse-dev
# - However, if you want to build Ceres as a *shared* library, you must
#   perform a add the following ppa.
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:bzindovic/suitesparse-bugfix-1319687
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libsuitesparse-dev

Best,
Filippo

Sameer Agarwal

Jan 23, 2015, 12:11:47 PM1/23/15
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Filippo,
Would you be kind enough to send me a change to the documentation to this effect?

Sameee

Sezai Sablak

Mar 5, 2015, 4:40:41 PM3/5/15
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Filippo,
I have followed up your instruction to install ceres. When I used "make test", it is failing 17 of 62 tests because of liblapack.so.3. I am using 32-bit Ubuntu. I think there is a compatibility problem between 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.
Could you please help me to fix this problem?
Thanks,
-Steve

./simple_bundle_adjuster: error while loading shared libraries: liblapack.so.3: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

73% tests passed, 17 tests failed out of 62

Total Test time (real) =  14.60 sec

The following tests FAILED:
     10 - c_api_test (Failed)
     16 - covariance_test (Failed)
     28 - iterative_schur_complement_solver_test (Failed)
     30 - levenberg_marquardt_strategy_test (Failed)
     31 - dogleg_strategy_test (Failed)
     32 - line_search_preprocessor_test (Failed)
     35 - minimizer_test (Failed)
     45 - reorder_program_test (Failed)
     49 - schur_complement_solver_test (Failed)
     52 - small_blas_test (Failed)
     53 - solver_test (Failed)
     54 - compressed_col_sparse_matrix_utils_test (Failed)
     55 - symmetric_linear_solver_test (Failed)
     57 - trust_region_minimizer_test (Failed)
     58 - trust_region_preprocessor_test (Failed)
     59 - unsymmetric_linear_solver_test (Failed)
     62 - system_test (Failed)
Errors while running CTest
make: *** [test] Error 8

Filippo Basso

Mar 6, 2015, 4:28:03 AM3/6/15
to ceres-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steve,
I've just tried to install Ceres Solver (commit d904f36776fc2a7edc361e965e64c90c42c8e361) in a fresh Ubuntu 14.04.2 32bit virtual machine.
Following the above-mentioned steps I was able to compile but I got some errors when testing too.
However, in my case, only test 52 failed.
I tried both not to install the patched libsuitsparse package and to use the old installation procedure (i.e. install glog and gflags manually) but test 52 failed anyway.

I don't know why you're having such a huge number of failures...

Best,
Filippo