makergear plastruder extruder not feeding

Greg Smith

Mar 17, 2014, 8:14:42 PM3/17/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I have a MakerGear geared head extruder feeding 1.75 mm abs filament into a v3b hot end with a .35 mm tip. The tip is 240 deg C. I send an extrude command to the stepper and can see the gear spinning but the filament doesn't feed unless I physically push it down into the extruder at which point it comes out the nozzle just fine. Without the extra help, the gear just spins grinding into the filament. I've tried a variety of pressures on the springs compressing the roller bearing with no success. Total newbie looking for advice.
Greg Smith

Charles Haase

Mar 17, 2014, 9:42:50 PM3/17/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I would guess either something in the filament path is misaligned (causing drag), your gear/hobbed bolt isn't squeezing the filament hard enough, or that temperature is too high for too long. I usually print ABS at 230 for first layer and 215 for the rest, and had stripping issues if I preheated the hot end too long. They were completely solved when I added a fan to the cooling bell on the hot end (budaschnozzle 1.something).

I would start by lowering the temperature if I were you.

Could also be foreign matter in the tip, but that usually increases the force a lot.

-Charles

Sent from my TRS-80.