Suitable motors for Mendel/Mendelmax?

Ethan Dicks

Sep 15, 2014, 4:29:12 PM9/15/14
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
Greetings, Local Makers,

I'm steaming ahead on my Mendelmax build and while I have some motors,
I'm not always sure which ones are suitable and which are not. I
haven't nailed down RAMPS vs Sanguinolu (I have a bit of everything on
hand when it comes to microcontrollers, etc), but presuming I have
Pololu drivers or something very similar, how do these motors look?

http://www.mpja.com/Stepper-Motor-NEMA-17-56V/productinfo/19286%20MS/

MFG: SOURCE ENG. P/N: 17H150H-014L NEMA: 17
COIL: 5.6V/.85A/6.3ohm/7mH
TYPE: 2 Phase Uni-Polar 4 lead
STEP ANGLE:1.8 deg
Custom motor with a 5mm dia. X 7/8” steel shaft.

I was curious how many folks here have 1.8 deg/step and how many have
0.9 deg/step, for instance.

Also, how important torque numbers are since it's more about speed
than about holding power against a cutting head would be.

Thanks,

-ethan

Larry Knopp

Sep 15, 2014, 6:00:46 PM9/15/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Kysan NEMA 17 Stepper Motor - Model 1124090

Holding torque actually is the number "most" builders look at; the primary reason is to handle the direction change forces.  Motor doesn't have enough holding torque, the mass of the carriage or table breaks it and you get skipping.

If you look at the IC3D machine at CIF, it uses Wantai motors with very similar specs.  They are somewhat "quieter" than the Kysan.  I also believe those may be 0.9's instead of 1.8's...  I have personally never *noticed* any significant difference in one vs. the other.  If you do the math, you'll find that at 16 micro-stepping a 1.8 has more than adequate resolution.

I would advise against that MPJA motor.
Not only for torque reasons, but also because of V and A values.  The stepper drivers won't be happy running them.
Look at the specs for that Kysan...  you want something real close to that.