Peristaltic pump success?

Mike Schoenborn

Sep 2, 2015, 11:50:56 PM9/2/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone printed any of the peristaltic pump designs out there?
Some look clever, some look pretty, some look actually functional.

I'm looking for the latter, one that would fit a junk box stepper, for
delivery of "3 to 8 drops" of a liquid coffee sweetener. Just a Rube
Goldberg pastime project.

Experiences?

Mike

Ethan Dicks

Sep 3, 2015, 2:11:45 AM9/3/15
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 11:50 PM, Mike Schoenborn <rt...@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> Has anyone printed any of the peristaltic pump designs out there?
> Some look clever, some look pretty, some look actually functional.

Someone in the group printed one and gave it to me. It split along a
layer, but it looks quite glueable. I have not tried running it off
of a drill yet.

> I'm looking for the latter, one that would fit a junk box stepper, for
> delivery of "3 to 8 drops" of a liquid coffee sweetener. Just a Rube
> Goldberg pastime project.

That sounds like a good use of one. I think given the speeds and
torques involved, a popular way to spin these is an electric
screwdriver with a 1/4" hex bit that mates into the pump. The amounts
dispensed wouldn't be as precise as with a stepper, but a simple
magnetic or optical rotation sensor could help that.

-ethan

Bill Schwanitz

Sep 3, 2015, 8:26:46 AM9/3/15
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
The pump I tinkered with is http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:454702 ( same one Ethan is speaking of ). The code being in openscad means its highly tweakable - at least to me.

Search on thingiverse, there are plenty of designs out there. The biggest challenge I had was getting the diameter of the tubing translated in to the openscad to make the pump gear printable. Also note that the gear/pump prints as a single unit - I chucked it in my drill to break the gears loose and then it was great.

Depending on the material you print in be careful. When I reved it up in the drill to loosen things up the friction generated caused the plastic to get soft ( pretty sure I printed it in pla ). It did work pretty well though