Ramps 1.4

Trey Roudebush

Mar 17, 2015, 8:37:29 PM3/17/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I am switching my printer to run ramps 1.4 and can any body tell me all the stuff I need to buy want I already have want I don't need to buy and where to buy it from for cheap but good.

Bill Schwanitz

Mar 18, 2015, 11:06:55 PM3/18/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Trey,

Your best bet for a ramps board is to get a decent one.

You can go with the mega + shield + stepper drivers or go with an all-in-one
I have this one:

  + bonus, they carry a nicer stepper driver - you can send more current and also get 1/32 micro stepping
The local microcenter also sells ramps boards. I can't speak to the supplier or quality

Take a look at the power draw you are going to need. I had trouble driving the heated bed + hot end/steppers nicely. The fuses on the ramps tend to be 5 amp for hotend/steppers and 11amp for the heated bed. If you are running a 6" bed you should be fine. For an 8" or larger they draw more current and will heat up more slowly. The panucatt card has a 20amp fuse which is shared for the bed and the steppers/hot end but most likely that will be just fine. You can also go the relay route - http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/printer-electronics/heat-bed-relay.html

If you want an all in one controller, look at the rambo board. Its just a ramps board with all components combined.

If you are only running a single extruder and don't plan to upgrade this is the controller I use - http://www.panucatt.com/azteeg_X5_mini_reprap_3d_printer_controller_p/ax5mini.htm. It does not run marlin, it runs a firmware called smoothie - http://smoothieware.org/ however its a *really* nice board for the money. It uses the same ti drivers allowing higher current + 1/32 microstepping. If you need more than 1 extruder, http://shop.uberclock.com/collections/smoothie but you go back to 1/16 microstepping.

I have no real use for my ramps shield. If you are interested in buying it let me know. I am re-purposing the stepper drivers but those are pretty easy to come by ( hell microcenter sells them now if you are in a hurry ;) )

Trey Roudebush

Mar 19, 2015, 4:41:22 PM3/19/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
thanks going to midwest reprap festival so somebody there can help me.