ABS prints turn bed off when print begins

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 14, 2016, 12:05:47 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
Hello, so I've been printing in only PLA recently. today i tried ABS and the bed heats up fine... however once the printer actually  actually starts extruding the bed turns off. any ideas on what it could be???? Also i have checked my slicer setting many times to insure i hadn't checked something bizarre...

bill

Aug 14, 2016, 2:19:30 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
a few things to check:

1: check slicer configs to make sure you do not have different bed temps depending on z height
2: what happens if you set the bed temp manually and leave it there for a while?
3: power supply - what type voltage and watt rating

what controller and wiring setup are you using. what gauge of wire and what's the length between board and bed

Bill Schwanitz

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.

On Aug 14, 2016, at 12:05 PM, thomasvanfossen6 <thomasva...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello, so I've been printing in only PLA recently. today i tried ABS and the bed heats up fine... however once the printer actually  actually starts extruding the bed turns off. any ideas on what it could be???? Also i have checked my slicer setting many times to insure i hadn't checked something bizarre...

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 14, 2016, 3:40:47 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
thank you so much for responding.
1: yes I've checked that config already.
2: if i set it manually it stays there fine at 110. i did an hour test and i never saw a change.
3: the voltage is 110v and idk on the wattage. its a good power supply though.

bill

Aug 14, 2016, 3:44:13 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
You are 110 to the bed?

Post the gcode somewhere ( or email it to me directly) curious if there is something odd in there.

Bill Schwanitz

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 14, 2016, 4:02:25 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
thanks! sorry no its 12 volts to the bed. I've looked at the g-code but a new set of eyes will be good, ill share it with you... by the way it happens as soon as the motors start moving and goes all the way down.

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 14, 2016, 4:07:51 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators

bill

Aug 14, 2016, 4:09:58 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Ah that's interesting.

What controller? Part a pic showing wiring.

Bill Schwanitz

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 14, 2016, 4:23:40 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators

here they are.i am using a ramps 1.4
documents-export-2016-08-14.zip

bill

Aug 14, 2016, 4:33:15 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Are you running separate inputs for the bed and steppers? ( Egypt both inputs)

Bill Schwanitz

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.

<documents-export-2016-08-14.zip>

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 14, 2016, 5:03:41 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
sorry i don't understand your question, what do you mean?
<documents-export-2016-08-14.zip>

Bill Schwanitz

Aug 14, 2016, 5:11:40 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
http://reprap.org/wiki/RAMPS_1.4#Wiring

are you using both dc inputs or did you jumper them?

Bill Schwanitz

Aug 14, 2016, 5:23:50 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
err thanks spell checker - meant EG not egypt. technology fail

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 14, 2016, 5:42:46 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
i used both

Bill Schwanitz

Aug 14, 2016, 7:14:09 PM8/14/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
wiring looks good from what I can see.

The gcode looks fine, I don’t see anything obvious there - no temp changes once the initial bed / hotted temps are triggered.

What happens if you set the bed to 80-90 range and then print? It almost sounds to me like something is not right on the controller board. Check for loose connections.

Has anything changed recently with the config? Has this worked in the past or is this a new problem?

don’t expect good adhesion in the 80-90 range with ABS. Thats more for debugging than anything. That said I tend to print ABS at 105 on the bed - not a big difference from where you are though.

Have you run the pid tuning and such? How recent is marlin? Anything interesting in the console logs from the print? May be an interesting / helpful debug message in there. If you are using octoprint there is an option to save the console log to a text file but that is disabled by default.

bill

thomasvanfossen6

Aug 16, 2016, 12:41:04 AM8/16/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
Thanks, sorry for taking so long to respond. the 80-90  range still has the temp drop when print begins. i have not changed config recently. i don't know about loose connections... it prints PLA fine. it maintains 60 degrees very well. i have updated pid recently but still no help... i don't use octo print i however use astroprint

Bill Schwanitz

Sep 7, 2016, 11:31:14 AM9/7/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
I completely forgot to check back in did you get this figured out? If not bring your printer next week and I / others should be able to take a look