Need a print!

Brad Stansell

Mar 4, 2016, 1:14:46 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
I'm so close to getting my printer back up and running again, but have a frame that's incomplete.  I was wondering if someone could help me out and print a few bed mounts for me. I have the stl file from the company but without a solid bed, I can't print them myself.

It kills me that my rig is so close to being able to print but missing this one critical component.  I could trade/provide some filament or maybe even some other parts (bearings, pulleys, etc.).  Being so close to the weekend, I know ordering over the 'net would just force me to wait or pay some gross fee for expedited shipping.  Please help!!

Bill Schwanitz

Mar 4, 2016, 1:44:16 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

Send me your stl files. I should be able to get them printed. Do you care what color? I have been printing in colorfab xt for things near the hotend / build plate as it warps far less ( if at all ) than ABS. I should be able to have them by the meetup.

color-wise I have translucent and white in XT. In ABS I have black, blue and maybe a few others.

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Brad Stansell <stan...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm so close to getting my printer back up and running again, but have a frame that's incomplete.  I was wondering if someone could help me out and print a few bed mounts for me. I have the stl file from the company but without a solid bed, I can't print them myself.

It kills me that my rig is so close to being able to print but missing this one critical component.  I could trade/provide some filament or maybe even some other parts (bearings, pulleys, etc.).  Being so close to the weekend, I know ordering over the 'net would just force me to wait or pay some gross fee for expedited shipping.  Please help!!

Brad Stansell

Mar 4, 2016, 3:10:35 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
When is the meetup? The last one I saw mention of was in February.  Kinda bummed I missed it.  I attached the stl, and no I have no preference of what color or material, I just need 3 of them for the bed they sent me.   I'm just anxious to get them so I can start printing. :-)
lm8uu_holder_cyl_2.STL

Bill Schwanitz

Mar 4, 2016, 3:12:28 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Yea those are easy to print. Not a problem.

The next meetup should be this coming wednesday. Worst case I can meet you somewhere.

Brad Stansell

Mar 4, 2016, 3:21:51 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I can meet you whereever and whenever you say.  The sooner the better.  I've got some other parts (z-axis couplers) waiting on my doorstep that should finally enable me to get some calibration done.  The addition of these holders would actually let me do some testing!  I'm extremely grateful!

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators" group.

Bill Schwanitz

Mar 4, 2016, 3:25:08 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

No problem happy to help. Need any other parts printed?

Brad Stansell

Mar 4, 2016, 3:37:06 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can tell, that's it.  The company that sold me the frame sent me the STL for the mounts and I just threw my arms up in frustration. Like I had another 3d printer just lying around.

Ethan Dicks

Mar 4, 2016, 3:40:27 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:10 PM, Brad Stansell <stan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 3:12 PM, Bill Schwanitz <bil...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When is the meetup? The last one I saw mention of was in February. Kinda
>> bummed I missed it.
>
> The next meetup should be this coming wednesday.

Indeed. Monthly. Every second Wednesday.

9 March
13 April
11 May
8 Jun
13 July
10 August
14 September
12 October
9 November
14 December

-ethan

Brad Stansell

Mar 4, 2016, 3:41:53 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Sweet, I'll totally make it.  Assuming my printer isn't just a pile of parts by then ;-)

Bill Schwanitz

Mar 4, 2016, 3:54:10 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Even if your printer is not working or all the way assembled, bring it - I can't speak for others but I'll certainly help ;)

( most everyone that joins in is pretty cool / helpful )

Shawn

Mar 4, 2016, 5:50:25 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com

Didn't see this earlier if you need a backup let me know and I will happily print them off and either bring them to the meetup or make other prior arrangements.

Brad Stansell

Mar 4, 2016, 6:27:35 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey Shawn,

Not to impune Bill’s work, but the sooner I can get them the better since now I’m attempting all sorts of stopgap measures including double-sided tape.  I’m over on the Southeast side, but I’d gladly come to you to pick them up if and when you tell me they’re available.

I didn’t realize there was such a large community in Central Ohio.  Thanks guys!

-Brad

--
Brad Stansell
Sent with Airmail

bill

Mar 4, 2016, 6:35:20 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
No worries either way. I'm out in Blacklick and plan to print these tomorrow.

Bill Schwanitz

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.

Shawn

Mar 4, 2016, 7:47:45 PM3/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com

Sorry I didn't get this until after I left the office when I get home I can see if I have anything already made or I can print it out Monday as I going to be out all weekend as it doesn't look like a big print I have no problem doing it as soon as I can might try and see if i can sneak back in tonight or tomorrow morning but if bill gets it done 1st then oh well.

What color and materials would you like I have some pla but mostly abs and petg in just about every color and might still have some black polycarb as well but I didn't have much luck printing with it

Bill Schwanitz

Mar 5, 2016, 9:56:25 AM3/5/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

All set just give me a call ( see private email )

printed an extra just in case. These things have somewhat thin walls. I don’t have any lm8uu’s handy to test fit them but they look right to me.

bill

Brad Stansell

Mar 5, 2016, 5:54:55 PM3/5/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey Bill,

I was dragged down to Cincinnati for a birthday party but am on my way back to Columbus now.  If it's convenient, I could swing by and pick them up on my way home.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate this. The electrical tape I'd been using is nowhere near ideal and looks like crap to boot.

Let me know if you'll be available in the next couple of hours.

Thanks!

Brad

Sent from my iPhone

Brad Stansell

Mar 18, 2016, 7:54:13 PM3/18/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I Sean you mentioned that you might have some parts but I could come by and Peruse later tonight if tonight's not a good time then maybe we can work some out sometime this weekend I'm free pretty much all day tomorrow so let me know when you're available

Sent from my iPhone

Brad Stansell

Mar 30, 2016, 6:11:17 PM3/30/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators

Another Print!

I purchased another x-carriage that claimed it was going to be exactly what I needed to convert my printer into a Bowden setup but alas, it was not.  However I think I've found a suitable substitute on Thingiverse that could be just what I need.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a hand and print this out for me.  I know I keep saying it but I think I'm getting very close to the point where I can print my own parts and won't have to bother you guys anymore.  I printed a calibration cube the other night and it was very close to where it was supposed to be aside from some slight deviations that I know I was responsible for by having to manually correct the z-axis.  I'd be more than happy to pick it up from you during the day tomorrow if that's possible.

Brad Stansell

Mar 30, 2016, 10:08:30 PM3/30/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
If anyone was so inclined, this mount would also be super awesome since I have one of those nifty inductive sensors but no way to effectively mount it thus far.

If anyone could help me, I'd be happy to compensate you with a brand new roll of filament, just pick a color and I'll stop by microcenter and pick it up to repay your kindness.

bill

Mar 30, 2016, 11:20:02 PM3/30/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Which one do you want printed?

Bill Schwanitz

If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. - Albert Einstein.

Brad Stansell

Apr 1, 2016, 8:08:23 PM4/1/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
If it were me printing it, I'd choose the second, but the first seems like it would take less filament/time.  At this point I'd take either.  The second is like a tricked out sports car but the first will get me to work on time if you get my analogy.  I have way too many failed prints lying around my living room and my hacked-together hot-end mount isn't helping matters much.

Bill Schwanitz

Apr 1, 2016, 9:10:43 PM4/1/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

ok I can get either one printed out. I’m out of town tomorrow but I should be able to get it running sunday morning. I’ll let you know.

Both prints will take a bit - I’ll give the first one a try for you. I can get the entire setup in a single build plate but it’ll be about an 8 hour print. The other is about 5 so not too much different.

If you want take some photos of your setup and put them on some photo site and I can take a look - what all is going on?

Brad Stansell

Apr 1, 2016, 10:29:52 PM4/1/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I can take some photos once I get home (midnight) but the gist of it is this:
I purchased and installed one of these since the original prusa i3 parts I bought were of varying quality and the x carriage didn't slide very well for whatever reason.  It's a very sturdy piece and slides wonderfully but doesn't lend itself to a bowden setup (or j-heads in general) without an additional spacer which they didn't send me.  I can use it with a direct-drive MK8, but there is no room for a traditional heatsink/fan setup and I notice I've been losing a portion of the heat generated from the hotend into the metal frame of both the carriage and the MK8.  It's also an issue in that this carriage has an inherent flaw, placing the hot end on the left side by default, which with my frame design, forces me to lose about 20mm of printable space on my bed.

The first time I tried to use my geared-wade extruder included with my i3 parts, I actually melted it.

I've purchased so many parts thinking "this will be the silver bullet.  This will fix my problems and allow me to print" but none of my parts want to fit together the way I need them to.

Brad Stansell

Apr 2, 2016, 7:21:58 PM4/2/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
Posted some pics in a new thread.  Let me know what you think.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators/fvrqqJjUHl4

Bill Schwanitz

Apr 4, 2016, 9:37:15 AM4/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Brad,

This one is printed / ready. The other one with the probe is printing now.

Brad Stansell

Apr 4, 2016, 11:25:25 AM4/4/16
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
Awesome, I can pick them up whenever is convenient for you