Themed/Subject Meetings?

Samantha Snyder

Mar 28, 2014, 4:57:41 PM3/28/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Are these meetings ever themed, or have a central point? There are a lot of newbies that keep asking for lessons on 3D printing: how to use slicing engines, or flash the firmware, or use 3D modeling software.

Is there any way to have people give demonstrations before the meeting starts, or during the first half an hour? That way people would still be able to mingle afterward and maybe learn something in a structured way.

Would anyone else be interested in that, or is the current format the one that works best? I've only been twice, so I still don't have a complete feel for the community.

Ethan Dicks

Mar 28, 2014, 5:42:02 PM3/28/14
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 4:57 PM, Samantha Snyder
<samanthas...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi, Samantha,

Thanks for bringing this up.

> Are these meetings ever themed, or have a central point? There are a lot of
> newbies that keep asking for lessons on 3D printing: how to use slicing
> engines, or flash the firmware, or use 3D modeling software.

For the first few meetings, we did have presenters - on Rhino, on
ReplicatorG, but the group was small enough that it wasn't possible to
keep the pipeline full far enough in advance to get the word out what
the topic would be.

> Is there any way to have people give demonstrations before the meeting
> starts, or during the first half an hour? That way people would still be
> able to mingle afterward and maybe learn something in a structured way.

If we can get a list of people willing to present and keep that
sustained, I'm all in favor of it. What would not be helpful is to
have 2-3 people sign up for presentations, then have that dry up,
sending a confusing message of will there or won't there be a
presentation.

> Would anyone else be interested in that, or is the current format the one
> that works best? I've only been twice, so I still don't have a complete feel
> for the community.

I am quite happy to sign people up and publicize the topics. Let
this be the call for presenters. If you have a topic you can cover in
30-45 minutes, please contact me with your AV requirements. We have
WiFi and we have projectors - mostly VGA, at least one HDMI. If you
have a Mac, please bring your own adapter if you need one.

If I get a volunteer and a topic by 1 April, I'll put it on the April
meeting announcement.

The April Meetup will be at 1158 Corrugated Way. May is likely to be
our first meetup in the new space at 421 W State St.

Thanks, Samantha,

-ethan

Larry Knopp

Mar 30, 2014, 2:40:25 PM3/30/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Ethan / Samantha / All,

There are certainly quite a few of us more than capable of "teaching" a demo session / mini-lesson on any number of topics, if the request / interest is there.

So, I guess let this be a call out to everyone...  What would anyone desire to have covered?
I'll volunteer.  (and if I commit to doing one of these, it'd kinda *force* me to be there...  heheheh)

Ethan, I imagine I would be able to swing it w/ a VGA projector and whiteboard...  if enough interest in a topic is garnered.  If not this month, maybe next...?

Regards,

Larry

jesse...@gmx.com

Mar 30, 2014, 3:01:59 PM3/30/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com, Larry Knopp
I have a old screen I can donate

Michael Cao

Mar 30, 2014, 9:02:14 PM3/30/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I'll volunteer to do some courses.  We could do a 9 month course just on Z-banding.

On a slightly more serious note, within 30mins, I can also do a very brief Solidworks intro, design something simple and start a print.

Michael

Bill Schwanitz

Mar 31, 2014, 11:00:22 AM3/31/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Solidworks would be interesting to see - though how much is the application? ( I've seen their online pricing and it scared me away )

Maybe some presentations on openscad, freecad, 123d design and others too?

I've been learning a lot about openscad. got some interesting stuff in my head but not yet coded. The neat one in my head right now is taking an existing stl and hacking on it ( add/remove stuff ).

Samantha Snyder

Mar 31, 2014, 7:37:14 PM3/31/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I also work at this place that sells cables, adapters, and stuff. With a hefty discount. So if anything is needed, I could easily acquire it. ;-)

Woo, structure!

Hopefully there will be new people there this month. I've got about a dozen soft commitments to going.