re connectors discussion from meetup

Bill Schwanitz

Feb 13, 2014, 12:34:59 PM2/13/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I forget who all was in the discussion last night about the jst and other connector options. One of the bits of the conversation was about higher amp support. Just found these guys:

They can handle 5A and have the housing and pins in a kit. May make a good option for things like a hot end quick connect.

Bill

Shawn Calhoun

Feb 13, 2014, 11:14:09 PM2/13/14
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately life has prevented me from making it out to any of the monthly meetups, but thought I'd share a couple thoughts.

   Molex connectors are nice, but if you don't have the proper crimping tools ($$$) it's unlikely you'll get a good quality crimp.

  I have been using the Wago lever nuts for about two years now, and they're handy for all kids of hacking and prototyping, quick and easy to use, see the link for the wire gauge, current and voltage  specs. They do make mounting clips for them so you can attach them to projects.

http://www.amazon.com/Wago-222-412-LEVER-NUTS-Conductor-Connectors/dp/B003K0J4IQ/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1392350596&sr=1-2&keywords=lever+nuts

  Another option is the "weatherpak" connectors that are common on American automobiles, they're available at most Jeg's or you can order online.

  One observation I've had is the crimp type is critical, if you don't crimp some types of connectors properly they will pull apart, break strands/wires, or drop too much voltage. Now if someone has the right crimper, I would say go for it.