Printrbot Top and perimeter layers

Trey Roudebush

Jan 16, 2015, 10:57:52 PM1/16/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I have been having problems with may top and perimeter layers.  The top layers are rellay rough on the out side and smooth on the inside does anybody know how to fix this problem.  On my perimeter  the walls are not striaght and on the corners there are little dots everywhere on all the corners.

Thanks Trey,

Jonathan Sullivan

Jan 17, 2015, 9:25:07 AM1/17/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Photos can help folks troubleshoot easier. Can you snap a few pics and send em?

---
Sent from Boxer | http://getboxer.com
On January 16, 2015 at 10:57:52 PM EST, Trey Roudebush <trou...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have been having problems with may top and perimeter layers.  The top layers are rellay rough on the out side and smooth on the inside does anybody know how to fix this problem.  On my perimeter  the walls are not striaght and on the corners there are little dots everywhere on all the corners.

Thanks Trey,

Charles Have

Jan 17, 2015, 9:38:51 AM1/17/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Little nubs on the outside could indicate over extrusion. If that's the problem you can fix it by adjusting extrusion e-steps, reducing target extrusion width, adjusting filament diameter, or adjusting the "fudge factor" multiplier. In Slic3r, anyway. I haven't used other slicers. You can also have it print outer layers first although that could hurt overhang quality. Finally, you can change the seam position from random to aligned. That last one won't eliminate the nubs, but will put them all in a line and make them easier to trim off.

All this assumes I understand the problem. As Jonathan said, a picture will help a lot.

-Charles

Sent from my TRS-80.

Trey Roudebush

Jan 17, 2015, 12:01:32 PM1/17/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Here are some pictures showing my problem
IMG_20150117_115044[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115811[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115052[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115108[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115116[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115125[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115128[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115731[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115746[1].jpg
IMG_20150117_115803[1].jpg

Larry Knopp

Jan 17, 2015, 2:00:14 PM1/17/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Three things...

E-steps definitely look in need of dialing in (over extruding).
Triffid Hunter's calibration guide is your best friend.  Do all the things.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Triffid_Hunter%27s_Calibration_Guide

It appears that it isn't quite right on retraction, either.  Dialing in your e-steps calibration will certainly improve things overall, but I would spend some time after that to work on retraction to eliminate blobbing.

These look like ABS, correct?  If so, then I'd advise looking into get a fan-duct for part cooling set up.  Get some air on your part during print.  That will help stabilize your prints.  (See those bowed-in side of your cubes...?)

Trey Roudebush

Jan 17, 2015, 2:04:18 PM1/17/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
it is abs on i have a fan on my printer it is a printrbot plus 2.1
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Larry Knopp

Jan 17, 2015, 2:29:05 PM1/17/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Ah.  Yep.
Calibration and retraction...
Dial those in and go from there.

Trey Roudebush

Larry Knopp

Jan 18, 2015, 11:29:39 AM1/18/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Did you re-calibrate it?  Or are you saying that it is already correctly calibrated?

Trey Roudebush

Jan 19, 2015, 12:15:28 AM1/19/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
It was already calibrated but i checked and it is.

Larry Knopp

Jan 19, 2015, 9:03:25 AM1/19/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Okay.
When you "checked it", did you actually go through the entire calibration procedure as outlined in Triffid Hunter's guide?
If you did, then is there improvement in your print?
If you didn't actually do it, then...
The pictures you sent definitely indicate that the machine is over-extruding, and your e-steps need fine tuned.
The specific thing you should be doing to fix the problem is dialing in e-steps so that your top-layer solid infill is "perfectly" smooth.
Do that, and you'll see vast improvements everywhere else.  Maybe not totally dialed in yet, but vastly better.
I still believe you probably need to play with retraction some to eliminate the blobbing at layer change...

Trey Roudebush

Jan 19, 2015, 10:47:27 AM1/19/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
I did't use that but i measured 100 mm with my calipers and then I extruded 100 mm and it extruded 100 mm

Larry Knopp

Jan 19, 2015, 4:47:19 PM1/19/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
That's cool.
But, that is only the most basic of calibration.
You really have to go through the entire calibration guide to fine tune your e-steps...  which control the actual amount of material extruded.
Good Luck.

Trey Roudebush

Jan 19, 2015, 5:24:20 PM1/19/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Do you think that if i got my retraction right that would fix the problem.

Jonathan Sullivan

Jan 19, 2015, 5:36:56 PM1/19/15
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Retraction typically causes problems with not enough material or too much material being extruded, causing holes or blobs to form.

The problem you seem to be having does not appear to be retraction-related, but a consistent over-extrusion of material. Running through that e-step calibration guide will help.

---
Sent from Boxer | http://getboxer.com