IC3D needing 10mm wide GT2 belt....

Michael Cao

May 17, 2018, 2:11:35 PM5/17/18
to central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators
Hey local community,

So a belt just broke on our large printer.  We've ordered some but won't get here until next week.  Was wondering if anyone locally had some we could purchase and get today or take and replace when ours comes in next week.

The difficult thing is that it's 10mm wide and we'd need a 2.5 meter (~98.5") continuous piece.

Please let me know and thanks!

Michael Cao

Bill Schwanitz

May 17, 2018, 3:32:58 PM5/17/18
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
if I do its 6mm would that work or does it have to be 10?

May 17, 2018 at 2:11 PM

Michael Cao

May 17, 2018, 7:27:28 PM5/17/18
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Yeah I think. The gantry it’s moving is a bit hefty. It’s all good. We just decided to overnight some. Thanks all.

Thanks,
Michael
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "central-ohio-reprap-and-makerbot-operators" group.

Bill Schwanitz

May 17, 2018, 7:51:52 PM5/17/18
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
What kind of weight does that carriage have?!

Michael Cao

May 17, 2018, 9:44:27 PM5/17/18
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
It’s the gantry on Norma. About 45” long and I’d guess about 15lb. It’s got a 10mm wide GT2 on each side.

Thanks,
Michael

B Stott

May 17, 2018, 10:33:25 PM5/17/18
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Try: High test fishing line. Spray with belt dressing. ?

Might work in a pinch.

Or cut down an automotive serpentine belt?

Bill Schwanitz

May 17, 2018, 10:59:59 PM5/17/18
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
What caused the belt to fail ? Just normal wear or did something happen? I imagine you have a good number of hours on that bot

Michael Cao

May 18, 2018, 11:22:18 PM5/18/18
to central-ohio-reprap-a...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the responses, guys.  So, luckily the belt arrived pretty early today and we were able to get things going again.

Bill, so we've run this printer pretty frequently over the past ~2 years or so.  I think the drive gear, idler pulley, and attachment points aren't aligned perfectly which caused a slight rubbing.  We'll have to make some adjustments.