Celtic Saints for September 15

Celtic Daily

Sep 14, 2012, 8:00:49 PM9/14/12
to celtic...@googlegroups.com
St. Hernan of Brittany, St. Mirin of Bangor
St. Hernan of Brittany ----------------------------- Born in
Britain; died 6th century. During the Anglo-Saxon conquest of Britain,
Saint Hernan sought refuge in Brittany. There he lived in solitude at a
place now named for him, Loc-Harn. He is the patron of that village
(Benedictines). Troparion of St Hernan tone 8 Devoting thy life to
prayer and fasting, O Father Hernan,/ thou hast bequeathed to us a
legacy of Orthodox asceticism./ Pray to Christ our God that we may be
granted grace to emulate thy labours, O Saint,/ and receive the reward
of the blessed. St. Mirin of Bangor amd Strathclyde, Bishop (also
known as Merinus, Merryn, Meadhran)
------------------------------------------------------------ Died 620.
Saint Mirin, a contemporary of Saint Columba, was a disciple of Saint
Comgall at Bangor (County Down). He had a powerful influence in the area
of Strathclyde, south of Glasgow, Scotland. There he founded and was
abbot of Paisley abbey, where he died and was buried. His shrine became
a pilgrimage centre. Mirin is venerated by both Protestants and
Catholics in both Ireland and Scotland, where there is a chapel
dedicated to him among the ruins of Inch Murryn, the largest island in
Loch Lomond. He is also patron of the British football club called
Saint Mirren's of Paisley (Benedictines, Farmer, Montague). Troparion
of St Merryn tone 4 As a bishop thou wast an icon of Christ, O holy
Merryn,/ and by thy godly life thou didst win many souls for Him./ Pray
for us too that we may be numbered among the elect.

RSS Feeds available at
http://groups.google.co.nz/group/celtic-daily/feeds?hl=en