Re: [celery-users] Celery or plain beanstalk?

Ask Solem

Jul 9, 2012, 5:34:25 PM7/9/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 9, 2012, at 11:49 AM, Daniel Gonzalez <gonv...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I know (but I do not understand) that Celery can use Beanstalk as delivery mechanism.

From the Beanstalkd Homepage:

"Beanstalk is a simple, fast work queue."

"It’s a task queue with focus on real-time processing, while also supporting task scheduling."

That seems pretty similar to me. So, why would I choose Celery instead of plain beanstalk? Or why would I choose beanstalk instead of full-grown Celery?

I would like to add a task/work queue to my webapp, but I am not sure which way to go.

Thanks,
Daniel

Beanstalkd is a server used to send and receive tasks,

so it's is sort of a message queue, but used only for tasks.

Then you need to implement a worker for every language you want to use it with, and this can be very hard to do correctly.
This is what you'd use Celery for: as a beanstalk client & worker.

Read the celery intro:

Nora Olsen

Jul 10, 2012, 8:07:32 AM7/10/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com

Then you need to implement a worker for every language you want to use it with, and this can be very hard to do correctly.
This is what you'd use Celery for: as a beanstalk client & worker.

How would one use Celery for multiple languages? Are there workers implemented in other languages such as Java?

-Nora

Amit Saha

Jul 10, 2012, 8:31:50 AM7/10/12
to celery...@googlegroups.com