Crash on XPsp3/2003 CefSharp v37+ (FileLoadException)

Alexander Markov

Mar 27, 2015, 8:28:21 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com
Hi, looks like CefSharp v37+ doesn't work on old systems (2003/xp)
Library CefSharp.Core couldn't be loaded.
check this thread on SO (exactly same problem)

these are screenshots of opening Cefsharp.Core.dll (ver 33 and 37) in XP SP3 (.net 4.0, redistributable 2012, big amount of updates installed)
33 works fine

37 doesn't

Can anybody investigate this bug further pls?

Alex Maitland

Mar 27, 2015, 8:49:52 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com
As stated in the FAQ we no longer support Windows XP see https://github.com/cefsharp/CefSharp/wiki/Frequently-asked-questions#9-windows-xp-support

There are reports of it working on Windows XP e.g. https://github.com/cefsharp/CefSharp/issues/708

Your best bet is to find someone who has successfully got it working.

(Nobody on the `CefSharp Team` has `Windows Xp/2003`, so there is little we can do).

Alex Maitland

Mar 27, 2015, 9:04:28 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com

Alex Maitland

Mar 27, 2015, 9:36:59 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com
If you have VS2013 and some time, you could try building from source with a minor modifications.

- Make sure you build in `Release` mode when deploying to XP/2003
- Change the two c++ projects `Platform Toolset` to `Visual Studio 2013 - Windows XP (v120_xp)`
- Make sure the machine your deploying to has `VC++ 2013 Redist` installed.

This is a long shot......

Alexander Markov

Mar 27, 2015, 9:59:45 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com
Thx, it works even with 2012 (v110_xp)
But are there any chances to get packages for xp via nuget in the future?

Alex Maitland

Mar 27, 2015, 10:11:00 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com
Thx, it works even with 2012 (v110_xp)

Changing to the VC++ `XP` variation was enough to get it working?

But are there any chances to get packages for xp via nuget in the future?
The build script is there should you wish to generate your own `nuget` packages. Easy enough to publish to a custom `MyGet` feed.

Alexander Markov

Mar 27, 2015, 10:14:38 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com
Changing to the VC++ `XP` variation was enough to get it working?
yes

Alex Maitland

Mar 27, 2015, 10:32:19 AM3/27/15
to cefs...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the conformation, much appreciated.

Per Lundberg

Dec 14, 2015, 7:12:19 AM12/14/15
to CefSharp
Stupid question, but: Couldn't we make the default be to build using the XP compatibility settings (vs120_xp or vs110_xp) by default? Are there any specific reasons why we wouldn't want to do that?

I do think we are a few people that need XP/2003 support, so if it doesn't break anything else, I think this would be a more suitable default.

Best regards,
Per

elmah....@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2016, 6:03:59 AM12/26/16
to CefSharp
Hi Alex,

I hope you are doing great!

I have been using CefSharp v37 as well and tried to test the released files on windows XP by following the process but It gives me following error

"

.Net Runtime

Application: CefSharp.WinForms.Example.exe
Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Stack:
   at CefSharp.WinForms.Example.BrowserTabUserControl..ctor(System.String)
   at CefSharp.WinForms.Example.BrowserForm.AddTab(System.String, System.Nullable`1<Int32>)
   at CefSharp.WinForms.Example.BrowserForm..ctor()
   at CefSharp.WinForms.Example.Program.Main()

Application Error

Faulting application cefsharp.winforms.example.exe, version 37.0.1.0, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x0001eb33.

"
Please help me with this or somebody provide me so code which is working fine.

Thanks
Message has been deleted

Alexander K.

Dec 26, 2016, 6:22:27 AM12/26/16
to CefSharp
Hi, Elmah
there are some important updates related to memory leaks
if u can't, try to rebuld 37 version from sources with 'Platform Toolset' changed to Visual Studio 2012 - Windows XP (v110_xp)

elmah....@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2016, 5:41:54 AM12/27/16
to CefSharp
Alex,

I have used cefsharp V39 and  tried to test it on windows XP.

I have done some research to make it work for windows XP with .Net framework 4 client profile.

Following the given link I have installed a nugget for windows XP

https://www.nuget.org/packages/CefSharp.Common.XP/

Problem is It works fine on my local machine but when It comes to windows XP It does not work there and throw some exceptions.

**
Exception Details

Application: CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException
Stack:

at CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.Program.Main(System.String[])

**

Please suggest how to overcome this issue because I really need to get going further on this project.

Alexander K.

Dec 27, 2016, 7:14:43 AM12/27/16
to CefSharp
do you use WPF or WinForms? nuget package v39 for XP is only built for WPF