Stands for Genelec 8020's

Duncan Chapman

Jul 21, 2017, 10:17:19 AM7/21/17
to CEC-Conference
A quick question
Is it worth paying the extra for the "genuine" Gelenec stands OR will more or less any microphone stand be fine (avoiding the very cheap, fall to bits in 3 months ones)

Thanks

Duncan

BISOUBISOU

Jul 21, 2017, 10:47:42 AM7/21/17
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
I was under the impression that their stands are K&M; for 8020s, I really like these:
https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Mic-stands/Floor-stands/26125-Microphone-stand-black
Even the models with a 250mm base work fine on non-carpeted floors.
The Genelec isopod stand plate will work on any stable stand you can get a 3/8” thread on.

Tony Seaton

Jul 21, 2017, 12:29:36 PM7/21/17
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com

Simple answer is that any single-spindle microphone stand is hopelessly inadequate as the bass energy will cause the box to swing back and forth like an inverted pendulum, thus making a complete mockery of phase coherence, especially at higher frequencies, together with losing imagery and depth perception.

There is even the potential for some degree of Doppler-type effect at high frequencies.

In short, you need the thing to stay put.

Either something with three or four feet, or, at very least, something a good deal more substantial than a mic stand.  Some of the single pillar or two pillar models which work are sand-filled, to damp-out the resonances inherent on hollow toubes/pillars.  This had the added advantage of making the heavier, and so less prone to unwanted movement, such as described above.

Hope this helps

Tony