Naar het eerste ongelezen bericht

Josh Feldman

ongelezen,
22 apr 2015, 19:12:4322-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I’m looking for examples of scores that notate different tempi simultaneously. If you can direct me to any such scores, it would be a great help.

Thanks,
Josh

Kevin Austin

ongelezen,
22 apr 2015, 21:57:1822-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Start with Charles Ives, notably the second movement of the Symphony No. 4, and the Concord Sonata. Other pieces have the ‘multiple marching bands’, and he leaves a number of questions unanswered.

You may want to delimit your question a little first as there is the Mozart polymeter in Don Giovanni which could be polytempo with a common pulse. Sometimes called cross-rhythm. The characteristic being that the cycles of beats align, for example a 4 beat cycle and a 5 beat cycle will align after 20 beats.

See also Henry Cowell, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cowell, and New Musical Resources.

Conlon Nancarrow and the Player Piano Studies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conlon_Nancarrow

Elliott Carter and metric modulation.

One of the major orchestral pieces is Stockhausen’s Gruppen, for three orchestras. There are a couple of recordings and some videos. Try this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqvlrphkGAU&spfreload=10

Henry Brant, however I do not know the scores so cannot say whether there were multiple conductors, ie, multiple tempi. I think there may have been, as in 1969-70 I composed a 12 minute piece, Games, for 12 brass, saxophone quartet, six flutes [thanks to the Unanswered Question], and organ after reading about Cowell and Brant.

Three conductors were required as the brass were in a high balcony, the saxophones in the middle of the audience, and the flutes were on stage. The ensembles only played together briefly at ‘cadences’, or points of articulation. There were no shared tempi to speak of. Sections of the flute part and the organ were in spatial notation. The piece was played once.

This was an outgrowth of a 1968 piece, Characters in Slow Motion, for woodwind quintet drawing heavily on the ideas of metric modulation from the early Carter works, notably the Eight Etudes and a Fantasy. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_modulation. In a reading of Characters it was clear that the performers could not reliably perform in tempi related by irrational amounts, such as q = 50, q = 60 and q = 70, and maintain a sense of ‘character’ — an idea drawing heavily on Carter. To solve this I rewrote the score [on graph paper] and the parts in spatial notation with something like “10 seconds per line”. The performance demands were far too heavy for the available ensemble.

But times and hearing change. The Pacifica Quartet have released a recording of the complete Carter Quartets, http://www.amazon.com/Elliott-Carter-Complete-Quartets-Pacifica/dp/B002YOJC7W, where they play with the simplicity, grace, control and precision of performing a Haydn minuet and trio. I would suggest starting with the Fourth Quartet where the ratio of note division between the four parts is 3:4:5:7 or 5:6:7:8.

I find multi-tempo pieces work better with adequate spatial separation of the parts.

Kevin
> --

Dean Rosenthal

ongelezen,
22 apr 2015, 22:50:3422-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com
What a great question!

Jim Tenney's - Spectral Canon For Conlon Nancarrow

I second H. Cowell big time - I'm not sure he wrote music with multiple tempos, but New Musical Resources, his book, was a watershed and is essential, extraordinary work. His Rhythmicon instrument vision discussed in that book remains unrealized, I believe, but may be one of the first instances of the idea of creating an instrument.

I wish I could say there was a good Dean Rosenthal piece that successfully addressed multiple tempos, but there isn't one, as far as I know.

DR

--
Dean Rosenthal
www.deanrosenthal.org

Mark AC Summers

ongelezen,
23 apr 2015, 04:49:3223-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com

Peter Castine

ongelezen,
23 apr 2015, 07:34:3723-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com
I recently edited a manuscript on Henry Brant that gave an overview of several of his scores (and argued that Stockhausen was probably aware of Brant's work while composing Gruppen). I don't recall all the details, but could review and report a few relevant details if there is interest. Christa Brüstle would know this repertoire better than I, but I don't know if she follows this list.

Switching to self-promotion mode, I used independent tempi consistently in two pieces: Ophelia und die Wörter (1979, opera) and The Phoenix Lament (2009, 12 flutes in three consorts).
In Ophelia there are musicians on stage playing to click tracks (while the conductor in the pit has to follow an independent click track, all to synchronize with the tape part–pity the musicians, but it seemed to make sense with the technology of the day).
In Phoenix each flute "consort" plays "normally", but each consort in a different tempo and the three consort are synchronized by cross-cueing. In performance it proved advantageous for the leader of each consort to have a metronome (muted, with LED) to prevent the individual tempi from drifting too much.
Like many composers, I have also had other pieces where for short periods individual players play independently of the rest of the ensemble. This comes up frequently enough that it is perhaps not of specific interest—you've presumably seen the "ignore the conductor" score extract that rears its head on Facebook regularly?

I may have missed some commentary on this thread… has Cage been mentioned? In particular, the Number Pieces that use "time bracket" notation seem relevant.

HtH,
-- Peter

Kevin Austin

ongelezen,
23 apr 2015, 23:07:4323-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com

In a very fundamental sense, Reich’s “Come Out” is a multi-tempo piece, it’s just that the two / four etc tempi are less than 1% apart. This is hinted at in a number of the Nancarrow Studies, and made explicit in many of them by having irrational tempo relationships between the ‘voices’. I find auditory streaming of these pieces difficult as the instrument is a homogeneous sound and many of the Studies have voice crossings.

One ear-training exercise I developed to try to get better at hearing this was to take two, three or four versions of the same work, and play them at the same time. With two loudspeakers in near-field condition it can be a challenge when the performances are similar, with headphones I found it a little easier. I would use slower movements from Bach Passions, as there was also the possibility of slight pitch standard differences which helped in the streaming, and the subsequent hearing of poly-tempi. I was often reminded of the cat in Matrix. When played over four widely separated speakers, the streaming of the tempi was considerably easier.

When I was younger, I would often hear two pieces of music in my head at the same time, an effect I could never duplicate in the audio domain. It is / was as if the two pieces existed in different ‘worlds’ that did not conflict with each other.

Kevin

Kevin Austin

ongelezen,
23 apr 2015, 23:14:5523-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com

Thanks. A wonderful reference for many related topics. I remember finding the Paul Price LPs in the ‘reduced’ bin in a record store and got one for $1.49.

Kevin

James Phelps

ongelezen,
23 apr 2015, 23:29:1723-04-2015
aan cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Last paragraph intriguing indeed, Kevin!