Sonic Realities Conference - Aberdeen, Scotland

Pete

Feb 28, 2018, 2:03:49 PM2/28/18
to CEC-Conference
Please find below details of the Sonic Realities Conference hosted by SERG in Aberdeen, Scotland in May 2018.

Pete

Sonic Realities

SERG International Postgraduate Research Conference 2018

A Conference Organised by University of Aberdeen’s Sound Emporium Research Group (SERG). http://www.serg-aberdeen.net/sonic-realities/

Keynote Speakers:

  • Prof. Cathy Lane (London College of Communication) presenting on How Can we Recover? Approaches to Sounding Out Historical Silences.

  • Prof. Michel Chion presenting [via Skype] on Critique de la Notion de Schizophonie (a Critique on the Notion of Schizophonia)

{The conference will run on the 25th and 26th of May. A more detailed program will be available in late April.}

Interpretations and representations of reality benefit immensely from engagements with sound, whether as a standalone phenomenon or as part of multi-sensory experience.

However, as composers, listeners, and researchers of sound our approaches to working with sonic realities are bound by subjectivities. This is often influenced by our ideologies and socio-cultural experiences of our sonic environment.

With this conference, we wish to shed light on the aesthetic, scientific, technical, historical, social, cultural, psychological, and philosophical ways in which we approach and work with our sonic reality.

Paper and Performance Submissions:

We welcome contributions from a wide range of disciplines, and invite submissions on, but not limited to, the following:

  • Phenomenologies of Virtual Reality;

  • Subjectivity, Agency and Constructivism in Electronic and Contemporary Music;

  • Sonic (Mis)Representations of Historical Events;

  • Composed Places and Sonic Reality;

  • Mechanism of a Sonic Reality—Imagination, Technologies, Society, Community and State;

  • Sound as a Socio-Political Construct;

  • Noise and Realities;

  • Schizophonic Place and Roles of Temporal Displacement.

As a conference organised for and by postgraduate students and researchers, preference will be given to submissions from students and early career researchers.

The conference committee welcomes individual papers and proposals for panels and roundtable discussions. Please use one of the following formats:

  • PechaKucha-style presentations for undergraduate students;

  • 30 minute presentations (25 minute talk, 5 minute discussion) from postgraduate students/early career researchers;

  • Sonic Art/Electroacoustic performances of up to 30 minutes.

For papers (30 minute or PechKucha) please submit an abstract (~300 words) and indicate the presentation style of your choosing.

For performances please include a programme note, a recording of the piece (if possible/appropriate), and any technical requirements for performance. File submissions accepted only as download/streaming links. Please do not use attachments.

Feel free to submit both paper and performance applications if you so wish.

Submission Deadline: 13th April

Selections announced: 27th April.

For more info, questions, or submissions, please email: ad...@serg-aberdeen.net

SUK-JUN KIM

Apr 14, 2018, 4:49:11 AM4/14/18
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
As some have requested, SERG are extending the deadline for paper/composition submissions to the 20th of April

For more information, see below.

Jun