EA music inspired by visual art

Annie Mahtani (Department of Music)

Nov 16, 2015, 10:42:00 AM11/16/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Dear list,

I am currently looking for EA works that have been inspired by paintings and visual art. If you know of any works or have composed some yourself I would be very grateful if you could point me in their direction.

Best wishes,

Annie
Dr Annie Mahtani
Department of Music
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
BIRMINGHAM
B15 2TT

CEC jef chippewa

Nov 16, 2015, 11:39:37 AM11/16/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com

Hi Annie, you can find a range of relations
between the audio and visual domains
expressed/explored/related in this issue of
eContact!:

Videomusic: Overview of an Emerging Art Form (April 2014)
http://econtact.ca/15_4

Hope you find something of interest for you there.

cheers,
jef

--

NEW!!! eContact! - new design and domain
http://econtact.ca

eContact! 17.3 - TIES 2014: 8th Toronto
International Electroacoustic Symposium (Keynote
Pauline Oliveros)
http://econtact.ca/17_3

Communauté électroacoustique canadienne (CEC)
Canadian Electroacoustic Community
HOME http://cec.sonus.ca \|\ JOURNAL http://econtact.ca
http://FACEBOOK.com/cec.sonus \|\ http://TWITTER.com/cec_ca

Alistair MacDonald

Nov 16, 2015, 12:20:49 PM11/16/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Monty Adkins: Five Panels
Javier Alvarez: Mambo a la Braque
Alistair MacDonald: Kilim (if Kaffe Fassett knitting patterns are visual art)

best wishes

Alistair

Battier Marc

Nov 16, 2015, 12:38:41 PM11/16/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com, BATTIER bam
Hi Annie,

You may be interested by my CD Audioscan. The 9 electroacoustic pieces are all based on paintings by Roberto Matta.

Feel free to contact me if you need details.

Best,

Marc Battier

hans w. koch

Nov 16, 2015, 5:58:33 PM11/16/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
hi annie,

the moravian gallery in brno/ctech republic put out a cd this march with electronic pieces related to the graphical scores of Miroslav Ponc, a czech avantgarde composer/painter active mostly in the 20ies.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Pounding-Ponc/release/6854196
you can find a bit on Ponc in english here: http://monoskop.org/Miroslav_Ponc
and if you put Miroslav Ponc into google and look for images, you will see some of his graphical scores/paintings.

disclaimer: if have a piece on that cd too, which gave the cd its name…

best
hans

www.hans-w-koch.net

Pablo Garcia-Valenzuela

Nov 16, 2015, 11:09:32 PM11/16/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Hello Annie,

I did a series of 5 electroacoustic miniatures inspired in different paintings, sculptures and installations, commissioned by Radio UNAM. Some of them have synthetic instruments though, some are fully "acousmatic". Here is the list, if you need more let me know. You can hear them in my soundcloud (and also see the image for each painting, sculpture or installation that inspired each piece): https://soundcloud.com/pablo-gav (go to the last five audios).

Bastidor Miniatures (2010)

Commissioned by Radio UNAM/Bastidor Acústico, Mexico City 2010. Based on glimpses of selected visual, sculptural and installation works.

La Giganta (1 min.)

Miniature for synthetic piano and electroacoustic sounds. Based on La Giganta (8m high sculpture) by Jose Luis Cuevas.

Animaris (1 min.)

Miniature for electroacoustic sounds. Based on Animaris Rhinoceros by Theo Jansen.

Babel (1 min.)

Miniature for synthetic piano and electroacoustic sounds. Based on Babel by Cildo Meireles.

Autoretrato (1 min.)

Miniature for synthetic oboe, bassoon, drums and electroacoustic sounds. Based on self-portrait by Tamara Lempicka.

7pecados (1 min.)

Miniature for electroacoustic sounds. Based on The Seven Deadly Sins of Modern Times by Susan Dorothea White.

Best,

Pablo

From: A.J.M...@bham.ac.uk
To: cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [cec-c] EA music inspired by visual art
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 15:41:57 +0000

Pete

Nov 17, 2015, 5:52:49 AM11/17/15
to CEC-Conference, A.J.M...@bham.ac.uk
Hi Annie,

Suk-Jun Kim and I have some 5.1 pieces which use the 12th century illuminated manuscript, The Aberdeen Bestiary. Of the Wolf and Of the Swan are a couple of pieces that might work for you?

Best wishes

Pete

Annie Mahtani (Department of Music)

Nov 17, 2015, 6:04:52 AM11/17/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Many thanks for all your responses on and off list. Really helpful!

Best,

Annie
Dr Annie Mahtani
Department of Music
University of Birmingham
Edgbaston
BIRMINGHAM
B15 2TT

couprie...@free.fr

Nov 17, 2015, 7:25:07 AM11/17/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Hi Annie,

If you read French, you can consult work and research from MIM (Marseille). They are working on links between visual and music productions and they created lots of musical works on visual art (and vice versa) like this one:

http://www.labo-mim.org/site/index.php?2008/08/08/19-le-projet-passage

Best,

Pierre

--
Pierre Couprie
Associate professor

Nov 17, 2015, 8:44:26 AM11/17/15
to [cec-c]
Don't know if this is the kind of thing you're looking for but my large scale work Jocks derives in part from a graphical version of the same material.

http://opaquemelodies.com/jocks.html

--David Mooney

Works in sound and fiber

Nye Parry

Nov 17, 2015, 9:57:44 AM11/17/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com
Ian Mellish (aka Mel) www.melmusic.co.uk has lots:

Rothko
Olitsky
Rauschenberg
Pollock
Tinguley
Riley

cds from http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/label/Red+Wharf/a/Red+Wharf
and mp3s on google play and iTunes

some very interesting scores too

James Mooney

Nov 17, 2015, 9:58:48 AM11/17/15
to cec-con...@googlegroups.com

Hi Annie (and list),

The ‘Painting’ and ‘Sculpture’ appendices of Hugh Davies’s International Electronic Music Catalog give a good idea of cross-overs with these areas up to 1967…

https://archive.org/details/InternationalElectronicMusicCatalog

Best,

-james