Heads Up: The Public Speaking Project Website is Down

Melanie Jeffrey

Dec 4, 2017, 12:46:52 PM12/4/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

I wanted to let people know that the Public Speaking Project Website appears to no longer be up and running. It has been down for over a week, and I am sad to see this labor of love go.  If you have any faculty who are currently using this for Public Speaking class, be sure to pass this message on.

In the meantime, over the break,  I will be frantically rewriting my speech class using the following sources:

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-communications/

https://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Stand-Up-Speak-Out-The-Practice-and-Ethics-of-Public-Speaking.pdf

These are both open access textbooks with big companies behind them, so they should be sustainable.

Melanie

Melanie Jeffrey

Associate Professor, English

Cerro Coso Community College

3000 College Heights Blvd.

Ridgecrest, CA 93555

760-384-6152

Melanie Jeffrey

Associate Professor, English

Cerro Coso Community College

3000 College Heights Blvd.

Ridgecrest, CA 93555

760-384-6152

Mislevy, Michele L.

Dec 4, 2017, 12:52:31 PM12/4/17
to Melanie Jeffrey, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

This is terrible news!  I have a faculty member who is organizing her whole course around this. I believe it was a product of Millersville University (does anyone know different?) and I have a contact there. I am going to reach out to them to see if that is the case and if they know this is offline and see if this will be back.

Michele Mislevy
Director of Digital Learning & Innovation
Division of Digital Stragegy and Infrastructure
Albright College
mmis...@albright.edu
610-921-7542

cid:image001.png@01D33C1F.518B9030

Fierro, Christie

Dec 4, 2017, 12:53:44 PM12/4/17
to Melanie Jeffrey, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Melanie,

There have been some recent hiccups, but a team of people is working to fix the problem.

Sadly, the site creator passed away. Her family and her college are working on a long term sustainable solution for the website.

We can legally still use the chapters. Many of us have them downloaded and I can send them to you later this afternoon.

I also have a bank of student created speech examples I am happy to share.

Christie Fierro
Instructional Designer & Open Educational Resources Coordinator
eLearning Department
Tacoma Community College
cfi...@tacomacc.edu
253-460-4469

I wanted to let people know that the Public Speaking Project Website appears to no longer be up and running. It has been down for over a week, and I am sad to see this labor of love go.  If you have any faculty who are currently using this for Public Speaking class, be sure to pass this message on.

In the meantime, over the break,  I will be frantically rewriting my speech class using the following sources:

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-communications/

Copyright This courseware includes resources copyrighted and openly licensed by multiple individuals and organizations. Click the words "Licenses and ...

Saylor URL: http://www.saylor.org/books Saylor.org 2 This text was adapted by The Saylor Foundation under a

Alexis Clifton

Dec 4, 2017, 12:56:42 PM12/4/17
to Mislevy, Michele L., Melanie Jeffrey, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Hopefully the Public Speaking Project outage is temporary - thanks to those who may know who to reach out to about this.

In the meantime, this collection from Lumen is primarily based on the PSP, with some additional content added from faculty users. It doesn't include every chapter, however.

-Alexis

Alexis Clifton
Executive Director, SUNY OER Services
(585) 245-5597
@openalexis

Melanie Jeffrey

Dec 4, 2017, 12:59:45 PM12/4/17
to Alexis Clifton, Mislevy, Michele L., cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

HI all,

I just received the following automatic reply from the owner of The Public Speaking Project:

We are sad to report that Dr. Lisa Schreiber passed away on July 4, 2017.  She will be deeply missed by her colleagues, students, and friends. http://lancasteronline.com/obituaries/dr-lisa-m-schreiber/article_e2030a60-2777-5b67-ab55-af8e905627ce.html

  • We know this is distressing news.  If you are a Millersville University student in need of counseling support, please contact the Millersville University Counseling Center on the third floor, Lyle Hall at 717-871-7821, or via email at: www.millersville.edu/counsel/

So sad to hear this news,

Melanie

Amanda Taintor

Dec 4, 2017, 1:03:23 PM12/4/17
to Fierro, Christie, Melanie Jeffrey, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Christie,

I would love to have the chapters too if possible.   A communications instructor sent me a message literally a few minutes before this thread began

Amanda Taintor

Faculty Coordinator Instructional Design and Distance Education

SLO Coordinator

Adjunct Child Development Instructor

559-638-0300 ext 3152

OII Logo

Melanie Jeffrey

Dec 4, 2017, 1:24:20 PM12/4/17
to Amanda Taintor, Fierro, Christie, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

I too would love any chapters that have been downloaded—I unfortunately did not download them.

Melanie

Terry Greene

Dec 4, 2017, 1:32:59 PM12/4/17
to Melanie Jeffrey, Amanda Taintor, Fierro, Christie, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Quill West

Dec 4, 2017, 1:36:22 PM12/4/17
to Terry Greene, Melanie Jeffrey, Amanda Taintor, Fierro, Christie, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Here is a Google Folder where I am keeping the textbook chapters as a stop-gap for faculty at my college.

I don't have PowerPoints, but if anyone else downloaded them and wants to share the files, I can add them to this Google Folder.

This is a quick and dirty interim solution.
Cheers,
Quill

Melanie Jeffrey

Dec 4, 2017, 2:17:03 PM12/4/17
to Quill West, Terry Greene, Amanda Taintor, Fierro, Christie, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
I have Powerpoints with chapter outlines! I will send them to the listserv after my class.

Melanie Jeffrey
Assistant Professor, English
Cerro Coso Community College
760-384-6152
melanie...@cerrocoso.edu
________________________________
Here is a Google Folder where I am keeping the textbook chapters as a stop-gap for faculty at my college.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Lor44VuWEWPmgC0dIm0Rskh5bCo6zT5m

I don't have PowerPoints, but if anyone else downloaded them and wants to share the files, I can add them to this Google Folder.

This is a quick and dirty interim solution.
Cheers,
Quill

On Mon, Dec 4, 2017 at 10:32 AM, Terry Greene <tgr...@ecampusontario.ca<mailto:tgr...@ecampusontario.ca>> wrote:
Looks like you can get it from the Internet Archive Wayback Machine: https://web.archive.org/web/20170913234701/http://publicspeakingproject.org/<https://web.archive.org/web/20170913234701/http:/publicspeakingproject.org/>

// Terry Greene, M.Sc.
Program Manager
eCampusOntario
4169940578<tel:(416)%20994-0578>
[eCampusOntario]
211 Yonge St. 2nd Floor<https://maps.google.com/?q=211+Yonge+St.+2nd+Floor+%0D+Toronto,+ON,+M5B+1M4&entry=gmail&source=g>
Toronto, ON, M5B 1M4
ecampusontario.ca<http://ecampusontario.ca>

I too would love any chapters that have been downloaded—I unfortunately did not download them.

Melanie

I would love to have the chapters too if possible. A communications instructor sent me a message literally a few minutes before this thread began

Amanda Taintor
Faculty Coordinator Instructional Design and Distance Education
SLO Coordinator
Adjunct Child Development Instructor
559-638-0300 ext 3152<tel:(559)%20638-0300>

[OII Logo]

There have been some recent hiccups, but a team of people is working to fix the problem.

Sadly, the site creator passed away. Her family and her college are working on a long term sustainable solution for the website.

We can legally still use the chapters. Many of us have them downloaded and I can send them to you later this afternoon.

I also have a bank of student created speech examples I am happy to share.

Christie Fierro
Instructional Designer & Open Educational Resources Coordinator
eLearning Department
Tacoma Community College
cfi...@tacomacc.edu<mailto:cfi...@tacomacc.edu>
253-460-4469<tel:(253)%20460-4469>

________________________________

Boundless Communications | Simple Book Publishing<https://courses.lumenlearning.com/boundless-communications/>
courses.lumenlearning.com<http://courses.lumenlearning.com>

Saylor URL: http://www.saylor.org/books Saylor<https://www.saylor.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Stand-Up-Speak-Out-The-Practice-and-Ethics-of-Public-Speaking.pdf>
www.saylor.org<http://www.saylor.org>
Saylor URL: http://www.saylor.org/books Saylor.org 2 This text was adapted by The Saylor Foundation under a

These are both open access textbooks with big companies behind them, so they should be sustainable.

Melanie

Melanie Jeffrey

Associate Professor, English

Cerro Coso Community College

3000 College Heights Blvd.

Ridgecrest, CA 93555<https://maps.google.com/?q=3000+College+Heights+Blvd.%0D+%0D+Ridgecrest,+CA+93555&entry=gmail&source=g>

760-384-6152<tel:(760)%20384-6152>

Melanie Jeffrey

Associate Professor, English

Cerro Coso Community College

3000 College Heights Blvd.

Ridgecrest, CA 93555<https://maps.google.com/?q=3000+College+Heights+Blvd.%0D+%0D+Ridgecrest,+CA+93555&entry=gmail&source=g>

760-384-6152<tel:(760)%20384-6152>

Anita Walz

Dec 4, 2017, 4:04:52 PM12/4/17
to Melanie Jeffrey, cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

I know it's not exactly the same as having a live site, but much of the site is archived in the WayBackMachine at:  https://web.archive.org/web/20170913234701/http://publicspeakingproject.org

Best,
Anita

Anita R. Walz
Open Education, Copyright & Scholarly Communications Librarian
Library Liaison to Economics, Mathematics, and Legal Studies
arw...@vt.edu | Tel: 540-231-2204 | Fax: 540-231-7808 | Newman Library 422 | Twitter: @arwalz
Open Educational Resources Guide http://guides.lib.vt.edu/oer

Virginia Tech
University Libraries (0434)
560 Drillfield Drive
Blacksburg, VA 24061
http://www.lib.vt.edu

Kim Thanos

Dec 4, 2017, 8:55:04 PM12/4/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I believe that we captured much of what Christie was using here: https://courses.lumenlearning.com/publicspeakingprinciples/. I'm not clear how much of the total resource set this includes.

Christie, this is taxing my memory a bit, but my recollection was that we brought all of this into the Lumen platform at the close of the Kaleidoscope grant to prevent anything like this from happening. Does that ring a bell?

Unfortunately, all of this material was licensed CC-BY-NC-ND. Yep, no derivatives. While we have rescued it for immediate use, we don't have the rights to modify the content so that it stays up-to-date over time and will need instead replace it with new material as it gets out of date. I have not reviewed the Boundless content to understand if it is a reasonable solution for the future, but am interested in the perspective on this from others.

This fall we were supporting about 3,000 students using this resource set as their primary course materials, so we will plan for a transition strategy for our customers and will license anything that we create CC-BY.

If there is anything missing from this collection, please let me know and I can fish around in our archives to see if there is additional content.

Thanks!
Kim

kim thanos
ceo, lumen learning