OER Health Education class

Irit Gat

May 23, 2017, 3:18:33 PM5/23/17
to CCCOER Advisory
Hello - I have done some searching but wanted to see if anyone had some good OER sources/materials for the following Health Ed class (class content description from the instructor below):

Thank you

Here is my course description for HE 101

Students will explore health behaviors, heath promotion and wellness concepts. The course includes study and analysis of specific lifestyle factors and their relationships to well-being and disease. Areas of study will include mental wellness, stress and stress management, physical fitness, nutrition, weight management, drugs, alcohol, tobacco, heart disease, cancer, infectious diseases, sexuality, birth control, consumerism and environmental health.

Una Daly

May 23, 2017, 4:02:06 PM5/23/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Irit,

This topic has come up on the list before so you may be able to find more in the old archives

University of Oklahoma has a great lib guide page on health sciences.

which includes a health education open textbook written by Foothill Community College Dean Judy Baker (PhD Public Health) several years ago.

Best,
Una

Kingston, Andrea L (Library)

May 23, 2017, 4:23:44 PM5/23/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Irit,

One of our professors developed an open textbook for her Disease Prevention and Healthy Lifestyles course:

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-monroecc-hed110/

It is licensed as CC-BY.

Andrea Kingston

Digital Scholarship Librarian

Monroe Community College

1000 E. Henrietta Rd.

Rochester, NY 14623

aking...@monroecc.edu

(585) 292-2313

Irit Gat

May 23, 2017, 4:51:43 PM5/23/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com, Perry Jehlicka
AWESOME thank you everyone -and I know we often re-post old questions but sometimes our search terms don't bring us to  the pertinent information depending on the "heading" they are under.

Irit Gat, PhD
Chair Departments of Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Administration of Justice

Academic Senate President
Psychology Professor

Antelope Valley College | Social and Behavioral Science Division
3041 West Avenue K
Lancaster, CA 93536

Irit Gat

May 23, 2017, 5:01:07 PM5/23/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
THANK YOU Una
Do you have any good suggestions for how to do a search in the archives?  I tried to do a search but the suggestions I got here did not come up....

Amanda Taintor

May 23, 2017, 7:50:39 PM5/23/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
At the Distance Education coordinators call Friday, LeBaron Woodyard stated a suggested icon for digital schedules indicating zero cost courses would be emailed to CIO''s today. Did anyone receive it? My CIO (and I) are curious to see what the suggestion is .

Thanks,
Amanda Taintor
Faculty Coordinator Instructional Design and Distance Education
Reedley College

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Do you have any good suggestions for how to do a search in the archives? I tried to do a search but the suggestions I got here did not come up....

On Tue, May 23, 2017 at 1:01 PM, Una Daly <unat...@gmail.com<mailto:unat...@gmail.com>> wrote:
Hello Irit,

This topic has come up on the list before so you may be able to find more in the old archives<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/cccoer-advisory/>

University of Oklahoma has a great lib guide page on health sciences.
http://guides.ou.edu/OER/healthsciences

which includes a health education open textbook written by Foothill Community College Dean Judy Baker (PhD Public Health) several years ago.

Best,
Una
Una Daly
Director, Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources (CCCOER)
Open Education Consortium
(408)348-4346
Check out our new website http://cccoer.org

[cid:E1A5921A-75A8-435B...@attlocal.net]

On May 23, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Irit Gat <ig...@avc.edu<mailto:ig...@avc.edu>> wrote:

[...]

phone: 661.722.6300, ext 6493 | email: ig...@avc.edu<mailto:ig...@avc.edu>
www.avc.edu<http://www.avc.edu>

PastedGraphic-1.tiff

Amanda Taintor

May 23, 2017, 8:17:01 PM5/23/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
I apologize for the lack of clarity, this question is specifically directed towards my California Community College collegues.

Alexis Clifton

May 25, 2017, 11:57:41 AM5/25/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Irit,
A couple more resources that might be useful for you:
https://courses.lumenlearning.com/fitness/ This course was developed by Santa Ana College and has been adopted broadly. It draws from multiple resources that in themselves might be worth exploring more deeply for relevant content.

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/collegesuccess-lumen/ There are some resources about drugs, alcohol, safety, and others from your list.

Hope this helps,
Alexis

Alexis Clifton
Executive Director, SUNY OER Services
(585) 245-5597
http://textbooks.opensuny.org/

Irit Gat

Corrie Bergeron

May 25, 2017, 12:28:07 PM5/25/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.  I've passed this on to our Health tech librarian.

----------------------------------
Corrie Bergeron, M.Ed.
Instructional Designer
Blackboard System Administrator
Lakeland Community College
7700 Clocktower Dr. Kirtland, OH, 44094-5198
440-525-7232
cber...@lakelandcc.edu

Blackboard MVP
Quality Matters Master Reviewer
Designer, QM-certified course EDUC2300, 2016
2015 -2017 SIIA CODiE Awards Judge

From:        Alexis Clifton <cli...@geneseo.edu>
To:        cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Date:        05/25/2017 11:57 AM

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Amy Hofer

Jun 8, 2017, 3:23:40 PM6/8/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Amy Hofer
Coordinator, Statewide Open Education Library Services

PCC Southeast Library Room 206
2305 SE 82nd Ave
Portland, OR 97216

Irit Gat

Jun 8, 2017, 3:35:08 PM6/8/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com, Perry Jehlicka
Awesome Amy- thanks I'll pass this on to the instructor for his HE 101 class

Irit Gat, PhD
Chair Departments of Psychology, Sociology, Anthropology, Administration of Justice

Una Daly

Jun 8, 2017, 6:49:42 PM6/8/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
A huge thanks also to Dr. Larry Green, Lake Tahoe Community College, who has now added “Health" as a separate category to his CCCOER-Advisory List index moving items from Biology and Education to this new category. You can access his complete index from this page.

Best,
Una

Cassidy, Lori

Jun 9, 2017, 7:52:55 PM6/9/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Irit,

Here's one more for your collection:

Thanks!
Lori Cassidy
OER Coordinator
Orange Coast College

Jun 9, 2017, 8:30:54 PM6/9/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
This list serve is just AWESOME - thank you Lori !!!

Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2017 12:35 PM

*** NOTICE ***
This message was sent from an external sender and did not originate from Coast Community College District.  If you are unsure of the authenticity of the sender, DO NOT click any links or download any attachments.  Instead, click on FORWARD and address to phishing

Donna J. Eckstein

Jun 11, 2017, 4:53:30 PM6/11/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
Lori,

I teach, Living Well with a Chronic Health Condition, with San Diego Continuing Education branch of the San Diego Community College District. Our classes are non-credit and non-fee.

I'm new to this list serve and OER. Does this mean that we can use these OER course materials in our classes for free?

Donna Eckstein, PhD
Associate Professor
Emeritus/Older Adult Program
San Diego Continuing Education
San Diego Community College District

Jun 12, 2017, 10:40:21 AM6/12/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com

Does anyone know where I can find examples of how to cite information that is used from a CC resource.

How do I reference CC By Attribution in APA format?

Wendy Potratz, PhD, ATC, CHES

Community Health Worker Program

Northwest Technical College

905 Grant Ave. SE

Bemidji, MN 56601

(218) 333-6648

Wendy....@ntcmn.edu

Nobody cares how much you know, until they know how much you care.” – Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks!
Lori

Orange Coast College

[...]

Corrie Bergeron

Jun 12, 2017, 11:15:58 AM6/12/17
to cccoer-...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you would need to.  Just cite the resources as you would any other.  The licence - the right to use the material - isn't normally part of a citation. After all, you don't cite whether you bought the book, got it from the library, or borrowed a copy from a colleague, right?  If it's an annotated bibliography, the fact that it's an Open resource might be of interest to mention.

----------------------------------
Corrie Bergeron, M.Ed.
Instructional Designer
Blackboard System Administrator
Lakeland Community College
7700 Clocktower Dr. Kirtland, OH, 44094-5198
440-525-7232
cber...@lakelandcc.edu

Blackboard MVP
Quality Matters Master Reviewer
Designer, QM-certified course EDUC2300, 2016
2015 -2017 SIIA CODiE Awards Judge

Cable Green

Jun 12, 2017, 12:29:16 PM6/12/17
to CCCOER Advisory
Hi Wendy:

Best practices for Attribution (citing others' CC licensed works): https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Best_practices_for_attribution

How to mark your work to make it easy for others to give you attribution: https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Marking_your_work_with_a_CC_license

Cable

Cable Green, PhD
Director of Open Education

Creative Commons
@cgreen

retain, reuse, revise, remix, redistribute
Get Creative Commons Updates http://bit.ly/commonsnews

This list serve is just AWESOME - thank you Lori !!!

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 4:52 PM, Cassidy, Lori <lcas...@occ.cccd.edu> wrote:
Hi Irit,

Here's one more for your collection:

https://courses.lumenlearning.com/suny-monroecc-hed110/

Thanks!
Lori Cassidy

OER Coordinator
Orange Coast College

For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Amy Hofer
Coordinator, Statewide Open Education Library Services
openoregon.org

971-722-6482

www.avc.edu

Baird Whelan

[...]

BAIRD WHELAN
Sr. Learning Experience Designer

Baird Whelan

Jun 12, 2017, 1:53:08 PM6/12/17
to CCCOER Advisory
oops, better/working link for the first one

Kelly Falcone

Oct 27, 2017, 3:56:34 PM10/27/17
to CCCOER Advisory
Hi Irit,

I found the Lumen Health book and chose to convert it to a Google Document so that I could adjust the order, add a couple more chapters, and I also wanted to ensure my students could easily get a paper copy from our bookstore.
Here's the link to the google document I made:   https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g4OYMjgg7ISQeITbqjoWIAd_f5PoXZB_JAIsoQxKfyg/edit#

I'd love to hear your feedback and any suggestions you have.

Also, I did have the Google Document checked for accessibility by our specialist and it passed all requirements.

-Kelly