Hacking (Back Up Copy ) a "HASP" USB Dongle

Bob Brown - NØEUH

May 28, 2009, 4:59:51 PM5/28/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone here hacked or copied the contents of a Hasp USB Dongle?

I have one i wish to make a back up copy of one i have, but not sure how to go about it.

--
Thanks in Advance

  Bob Brown, NØEUH

  Kansas City Metro Area

  http://sm0kenet.net

  http://byrg.net

  http://kcdstar.byrg.net

Mitch Hedberg  - "My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them."

Jestin Stoffel

May 28, 2009, 5:16:22 PM5/28/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
If you can find some way to mount it, the dd command on *nix systems is
good to do low level backups:

dd if=/dev/sda of=backup.img

where /dev/sda is the device's file handle and backup.img is a file.
Notice that I'm NOT using /dev/sda1, which would be the first partition.
Using the file handle for the device itself should copy all data sector
by sector, and doesn't care about partitions or filesystems.

Check out http://wiki.linuxquestions.org/wiki/Dd for more info.

Granted, none of this will be any use to you if you can't mount the
thing. Good luck!

Randy Childers

May 28, 2009, 5:26:37 PM5/28/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
I've done some software development with HASP keys in the past; it's worth mentioning that not every aspect of it will be accessible through the standard drive-access techniques.  The model I worked with (granted, this was about 7 years ago) had a series of API functions that revealed some extended functionality -- a small hidden memory cache, access to an onboard clock, things like that.  Not sure exactly what you're up to, but I can tell you that there's a decent chance dd won't entirely do the trick.
--
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Billy Crook

May 28, 2009, 7:03:58 PM5/28/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
I imagine Bob's trying to exercise his right to run software he
purchased lawfully without the encumbrance of a physical dongle. I
think "dongle != usb block storage device" is a fair explanation of
why dd won't be the answer. It's DRM, so it is already broken.
Surely someone else has already solved this problem.

If not, it is possible to dump usb traffic to a file, and then view
that file in Wireshark of all things.
http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB?highlight=(CategoryHowTo)

Bob Brown - NØEUH

May 28, 2009, 7:21:16 PM5/28/09
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Bingo bill

also i have another piece of ware that uses an off site server for validation as well

been trying to crack that one for a year or so, wireshark has some interresting logs but to no avail yet

cant run the ware unless i have a inet connection. i want to go off net sometimes

hence the need to "back this up"

when you pay a "Very Large Sum" for the software i use, i want to be able to do as i please.

in case i have a hardware problem and at midnite on a holliday, when tech support is not around,

i want to be able to restore my goods with minimal intervention from some guy who wants me to pay 200 $ just

to give me a new key for the hard drive i just replaced.