Hacker health awareness night at CCCKC on Thursday, October 25th. + First aid class follow up

Joel Kershner

Sep 30, 2012, 6:48:22 PM9/30/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Michelle Stoffel and Myself will be running a hacker health awareness night at CCCKC on Thursday, October 25th.  We will be having a turbo talk on Hacker health awareness and we will have some health stations where we will check you blood pressure, Height, weight, BMI ...etc all are welcome to attend.

Also, I have been promising a First Aid class.  I'm very close to accomplishing this but the key problem is getting the training equipment.  ECSI has some requirements on how many students to training dummies & AED's there can be, which turns this class into a non-trivial expense.  This is a recent change, American red cross/ECSI and American Heart Assoc. are making training VERY expensive with these requirements.  (AHA requires one for one, ECSI is more lenient)

In the end the amount of equipment dictates how large the class size can be.  If we want to run these classes often we will need to bite the bullet and buy the training equipment.  My Initial assessment puts the initial cost of the re-usable equipment at about $1000-$1200 (6 AED simulators and 7 dummies, epi pen trainers ...etc) plus the teachers package from ECSI ($240)(for 2012-2013) resulting in a projected maximum class size of 12 to 15 persons.  The students will then be responsible for the student books ($15 from ECSI and a first aid/CPR training kit($5) and optionally a CPR face mask (~$10).

So to make this happen I may need some help to purchase the amount of equipment needed to host a large sized 12-15 person class.  Otherwise this limits us to class sizes of like 2 or 3 with a single manikin and AED trainer.

The Basic First aid/CPR/AED class is listed as being 3 hours (Its more like 4+ hours).

If you are interested in this this training, or if you are interested in donating money to buying training equipment for CCCKC please email me at educ...@c3kc.org.
I am happy to cover the instructor packet cost and a chunk of the necessary equipment.

Hal Gottfried

Sep 30, 2012, 11:59:13 PM9/30/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com
That is great Joel! Please feel free to post it on FB and G+ and I can put it on Meetup.

I think I will be on the road that week sadly, but maybe a Google hangout for the talk parts?