Anybody into car modding? Electronics or otherwise?

curado

Feb 16, 2013, 6:03:09 PM2/16/13
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Just curious who out there has done some custom work on their cars? Anyone interested in having a mod day when it gets a little nicer out?

Paul Kenyon

Feb 17, 2013, 3:10:48 PM2/17/13
to cc...@googlegroups.com

Hey Curado!

I don't do anything like that, but might be interested. I have an old Volvo with an early fuel injection system, and have thought of replacing the PCM with a custom microcontroller so I can fine tune run parameters. Not sure how common that kind of thing is. What kind of mods did you have in mind?

-Paul

On Feb 16, 2013 5:03 PM, "curado" <pontiac...@gmail.com> wrote:
Just curious who out there has done some custom work on their cars? Anyone interested in having a mod day when it gets a little nicer out?

Mark

Feb 17, 2013, 10:26:47 PM2/17/13
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

I have retrofitted a couple cars in the past with something called Megasquirt. It is open source and comes as a kit or preassembled depending how you order it. http://www.diyautotune.com/ is one place to browse. Highly customizable but not emissions certified...

As far as a mod day, I left that kind of open ended on purpose. Back when the local KC Grand Prix club was a little more active, it was typically a swap meet for things like cams or supercharger pulleys. But that was a specific model car. So I figure it would be more electronic oriented. Maybe an EV conversion or something like that? Powered on recycled UPS batteries :) Or something easier like a dashboard tablet install.

Mark

Walter Acheson

Feb 17, 2013, 11:36:04 PM2/17/13
to CCCKC
I have a friend who organizes an annual car show. Its primarily geared towards (but not limited to) acura cars, and they have prizes for different mods and such.  It "might" be something to look into. If nothing else, he might have some ideas for ya.
Some mods he's done on his car, are things like custom light changes (internal and external), backup camera, cold air intake, suspension, and plasti-dip mods. He has an upcoming mod, where hes wanting to re-do the lights associated with the blinker, which is going to require a customized timer circuit, to match the blinker.

- Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.
http://sites.google.com/site/walteracheson/
Walter Acheson