hammerspace internet.

Jordie Smith

Sep 27, 2012, 2:30:14 AM9/27/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com

Jordie Smith

Sep 27, 2012, 2:31:00 AM9/27/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com
I'm aware that this is a longshot at this time of night, but does anyone know what is needed to be done if the network cant reach the DNS sehammerspace internet.

Jon Pruente

Sep 27, 2012, 9:06:37 AM9/27/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com

Time Warner has been flakey lately. I set DNS servers for 8.8.4.4 as a temp fix.

Hal Gottfried

Sep 27, 2012, 9:25:07 AM9/27/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Try the OpenDNS servers instead of Google they seem faster.

Jon Pruente

Sep 27, 2012, 9:28:06 AM9/27/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com
True, but el Goog is easy to 'meberize.

Hal Gottfried

Sep 27, 2012, 9:31:51 AM9/27/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Very true!

Paul Kenyon

Oct 4, 2012, 5:44:14 PM10/4/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com

OpenDNS sucks. Googles dns servers at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are easy to remember, as are Level 3 Network's anycast dns servers at 4.2.2.1, 4.2.2.2, .3... etc. From KC, L3s servers are physically closer, as we hit their chicago servers. TWCs servers are in Ohio. Until recently, it was actually a faster roundtrip time to the L3 servers. TWC does bad things with dns like OpenDNS, so I chuck their numbers as soon as possible. I tend to not trust Google to be doing analysis of their dns traffic, but believe that they would be resolving vanilla responses. I don't see it being of any interest of L3 to do anything other than recursing queries as fast as possible, which supports their implementation of the anycast system they set up.

Just had to throw that out there. Sorry for resurrecting an old thread.

-P

Hal Gottfried

Oct 4, 2012, 9:17:12 PM10/4/12
to cc...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Paul I will give the L3 a try ...

All the best,
Hal F. Gottfried
Event Director 2012 (C3KC)