Getting 502s again

taub...@govtrack.us

Jan 21, 2014, 10:28:04 PM1/21/14
to cato-government-...@googlegroups.com
Hey,

We're getting a lot of 502 errors pulling bills, e.g.:

Josh

Don Whiteside

Jan 21, 2014, 11:02:00 PM1/21/14
to cato-government-...@googlegroups.com
You're trying to pull a bill there that has not yet been marked up by Cato. The list of completed bills is available via the API at http://deepbills.cato.org/api/1/bills and you should limit yourself to those.

I should have a better error message in place than the 502 but regardless the result would be you're not going to get a result. I don't think it's in our interest to return a non-marked-up bill, as we don't want to be in the raw bill distribution business. So the best case would be maybe a 404 rather than an application error.

taub...@govtrack.us

Jan 21, 2014, 11:17:22 PM1/21/14
to cato-government-...@googlegroups.com
That's what we're doing... Maybe the bill was published, then
unpublished, but the index was cached?

Seems OK now.

Thanks.

mollybohmer

Jan 21, 2014, 11:25:16 PM1/21/14
to cato-government-...@googlegroups.com
I just checked on that example and it was definitely something I did earlier today. It was marked "complete" on the dashboard, but when I opened it there was no mark up. When I re-marked it up and selected "save & continue" the status was "in-progress." Weird.

Are there any other bills causing this problem, Josh?

Don Whiteside

Jan 21, 2014, 11:54:43 PM1/21/14
to cato-government-...@googlegroups.com
I was doing server work around 7pm and had to restore from an earlier backup; I didn't realize there'd been bills modified in that time period; I assume you pulled a bill listing before I did the restore and were still retrieving after I reloaded. Sorry for the trouble.

taub...@govtrack.us

Jan 22, 2014, 9:54:50 AM1/22/14
to cato-government-...@googlegroups.com
No worries!

(Jim, replying by email is disabled...?)