Inactive Committers and PMC members

Jonathon Rossi

Apr 5, 2017, 12:22:56 AM4/5/17
to Castle Project Development
Hi everyone,

I've done some visual updates to our team page and included a summary of some of our bylaws:

To ensure there is a future for our remaining successful projects I will be enacting our bylaws to transition all inactive committers and PMC members to emeritus status. I will be putting forward those names to the PMC for a vote within the next couple of days.

If you are listed as an active committer or PMC member I'd love to hear from you and would appreciate a reply here with your intentions on whether you'd like to continue contributing to the Castle Project at this level. If you know you don't have the time, energy or interest then you are free to request to retire.

This isn't about kicking anyone out (for those not familiar with the Apache Foundation process), your contributions are definitely recognised and appreciated, and you are welcome to return to the project in any capacity in the future, however we must get a grip on things and push forward to simplify our processes as the Castle Project doesn't have the strength, impact or manpower it once had.

FYI once I get this sorted I'll be proposing other changes, but this thread is not the forum for that, please keep this thread on topic.

Thanks,
Jono

Mauricio Scheffer

Apr 5, 2017, 5:20:02 AM4/5/17
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jono,

I'm fine with being marked as retired/emeritus.

Cheers,
Mauricio

--
Mauricio

Roelof Blom

Jonathon Rossi

Ken Egozi

Apr 5, 2017, 4:08:04 PM4/5/17
to Castle Project Development List
Same boat as Roelof. Coming back to do some core net, but cannot commit, so emiritus it is. The guiding principle should be to decrease the PMC and active commiters' overhead to a minimum so that they can provide value. I guess we can still comment on PRs etc, just not commit (or merge) directly.

--
Mauricio

Craig Neuwirt

Apr 5, 2017, 5:15:11 PM4/5/17
to Castle Project Development List
Thanks Jono for organizing this

Although I am currently very active in .Net and using Castle regularly I have been working on my open source effort https://github.com/miruken for a while and will likely not have any additional time for Castle support.

Best Regards,
  Craig

hammett

Apr 5, 2017, 5:19:06 PM4/5/17
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jono,
I guess I'm emeritus as well. Fine surrendering all leadership and whatever else to you if you're up to it.
We still have a big investment in castle here, but we've taken a non-oss approach, and my latest two oss offering were under the company's umbrella just so I can fast track everything and not care about api, consensus or any other overhead.

Jonathon Rossi

Apr 5, 2017, 11:18:44 PM4/5/17
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Ken, that is exactly what I'm after, reducing the overheads and trying to remove the little guy in the back of my mind wondering if I should be asking the PMC on decisions. You are most welcome to participate in individual issues and pull requests, and can always request to become a committer again if you desire.

Cheers Craig, glad to hear you are still working on open source.

Much appreciated hammett, yes I'm keen to stay on the PMC to push Castle forward. I completely understand hosting your recent OSS work under your company or your personal account, OSS just doesn't need an umbrella project to provide a repo and other infrastructure anymore and happens much more quickly, exactly why we need to decide what the future of the Castle Project will be.

The goal will be to put Castle on a diet as we are carrying too much baggage, especially that most open source development today doesn't need the oversight that the Apache Foundation processes provide. You are all definitely welcome to participate in individual discussions that impact you with no pressure to do any more, actually I really hope you do participate in discussions that impact you as we'll put up a bunch of things for depreciation that don't seem to be getting much love.

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 12:22 AM, Jonathon Rossi <jo...@jonorossi.com> wrote:
[...]

Henry Conceição

Apr 6, 2017, 12:46:22 AM4/6/17
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jono,

First, kudos for all the effort to get things on track again. I'm totally agree with you, that the oss landscape changed a lot and the apache process is big overhead nowadays.

Also, I probably should be moved to the emeritus gang too.

Cheers,
Henry Conceição

Jonathon Rossi

Apr 6, 2017, 1:42:06 AM4/6/17
to castle-pro...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Henry, I've updated the team list. I can imagine it feels strange especially for you earlier guys to be stepping down from your post, an end to an era I guess.

We'll need to sort something out with the castleproject.org domain name, I'll send you an email.

Fabian Schmied

Apr 6, 2017, 10:53:58 AM4/6/17
to Castle Project Development List
There was a time when I did a lot of DynamicProxy work, but that has been over for a while. So, please do make me an emeritus as well.

Thanks,
Fabian

Jonathon Rossi

Apr 6, 2017, 11:17:10 PM4/6/17
to Castle Project Development List
Thanks Fabian.

Your DP changes are definitely still there being used by everyone, I come across them every now and then when looking at history.

Krzysztof Koźmic

Apr 9, 2017, 2:58:57 AM4/9/17
to Castle Project Development List
Hi Jono

First of all, massive kudos for stepping in and driving the project forward over the recent times.

I haven't been really involved lately beyond an occasional comment on Github or StackOverflow so it's only fair to step aside and let you and others drive the project through its next phase.

regards
Krzysztof

Jonathon Rossi

Apr 9, 2017, 9:07:42 AM4/9/17
to Castle Project Development List
Thanks Krzysztof, and very many thanks to your massive contributions over your time with Castle, I know I definitely learned a lot from you.

Jonathon Rossi

Apr 9, 2017, 9:45:49 AM4/9/17
to Castle Project Development
It has been great to hear from you guys and to see that you are still following the Castle Project.

After looking at the commit history and our mailing lists the following committers and PMC members have been inactive for over 5 years. On behalf of all our users I'd like to thank them for their contributions and will be marking them as emeritus status immediately:

- Fabio David Batista (last active September 2009)
- Ayende Rahien (last active July 2011)
- G. Richard Bellamy (last active August 2012)
- Josh Robb (last active October 2011)
- Dave Godfrey (last active June 2009)
- Markus Zywitza (last active December 2011)
- Tuna Toksöz (last active June 2010)
- John Simons (last active January 2012)
- Henrik Feldt (last active January 2012)