Testing approach / XMLHttpRequest issue

Rob Walker

Mar 19, 2016, 9:14:24 PM3/19/16
to CasperJS
I am trying to use CasperJS for testing a web app and my plan was to write tests that drove the web api and then used the app's API to check the results where recorded correctly.

So I was trying to make ajax requests from the test script: *not* within the page context.

However, after several hours of trying they always fail:

FAIL Error: NETWORK_ERR: XMLHttpRequest Exception 101
#    type: uncaughtError
#    file: v3-test.js:118
#    error: NETWORK_ERR: XMLHttpRequest Exception 101
#           send@[native code]
#           phantomjs://code/v3-test.js:118:18
#           runStep@phantomjs://platform/casper.js:1577:31
#           checkStep@phantomjs://platform/casper.js:404:28
#    stack: not provided

I am launching casperjs with:
  --web-security=no --verbose --log-level=debug --local-to-remote-url-access=true

The server's response includes a Access-Control-Allow-Origin: * header

I have a simple snippet that creates an XMLHttpRequest and posts to the local server which works fine when run with "phantomjs --web-security=no"  but the same snippet fails in CasperJS (using the same phantomjs engine v2.1.1 under Windows)

If I evaluate the fragments in the page context using casper.evaluate(...) then they work.

Is this pattern supposed to work?  Can I make an AJAX request from the test script itself to check results on a remote server?

Thanks