Python Mechanize Vs CasperJS

Connor Waldo

Sep 17, 2014, 8:11:30 PM9/17/14
to casp...@googlegroups.com
Python Mechanize Vs CasperJS ... what do you think would work better long term?

To my understanding they're similar however one is in Python, the other Javascript.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Darren Cook

Sep 18, 2014, 2:44:44 AM9/18/14
to casp...@googlegroups.com
> Python Mechanize Vs CasperJS ... what do you think would work better long
> term? To my understanding they're similar however one is in Python, the other
> Javascript.

Mechanize looks to be a basic screen-scraper?
http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/mechanize/

Casper actually runs an instance of Chrome or Firefox, so JavaScript is
interpreted, you can take screenshots, you can interact with the
JavaScript, you can react to events, and also you know you are
testing/scraping just what the end user is seeing.

If you are looking for an alternative to what Casper does, you should
look at Selenium. ( http://www.seleniumhq.org/ ) The pros/cons are
fuzzier; I've done projects in both, and personally I just find Casper
easier to work with.

Darren

My new book: Data Push Apps with HTML5 SSE
Published by O'Reilly: (ask me for a discount code!)
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920030928.do
Also on Amazon and at all good booksellers!