Runnig CasperJS like a cron job for monitoring

tim nolet

Feb 20, 2017, 2:05:26 PM2/20/17
to CasperJS
Hi,

I'm Tim and I'm reaching out to all members of this group.

In my current job as software engineer and ops guys I had a strong need for synthetic monitoring: multi-step scripts that check our actual users flows and transactions.
Stuff like New Relic synthetics, Dynatrace or Uptrends was either to expensive, or the scripting language was hard to grasp or proprietary.

CasperJS was a great fit though, scripting wise. The next step was running CasperJS scripts in a cron job. Then add alerting if something breaks in the weekends. Then collect metrics, then etc. etc.
Quickly it ballooned and became pretty complex.  However, I believe strongly in the core idea: develop a CasperJS script that checks something important, then hand it over to a service to take care of the running, alerting and metrics collection.

I'm putting together a private beta of this exact service at http://checkly.run You can sign up and I'll give you free access when I roll out the beta.
If you recognise this problem, or have any questions or feedback I'd be happy to listen or answer.

Kinds regards,

Tim Nolet

full disclosure:
I manage and engineering team here https://unumotors.com and previously founded and launched http://vamp.io
If these types of messages are not appreciated here, then I apologize in advance and please ignore. I will not spam the group again.