Custom counters not generated on rhs of Hashjoin

ANIKET MORE

Sep 1, 2016, 11:08:52 AM9/1/16
to cascading-user
Hi,

I tried to ran a cascading job with 2 input files and used a hashjoin pipe.I have created custom counters using each pipe to get the( Record Count) number of tuples flowing through a pipe/input.1st input file connected on lhs generated correct record count whereas for 2nd input file on rhs was not giving any record count.

After debugging the code, The getReporter method in HadoopFlowProcess class is returning two different reporter objects for the 2 input files, TaskReporter for lhs and NULL reporter for rhs.But we are expecting TaskReporter for both input files.

For the input file connected on lhs of Hashjoin, TaskReporter is incrementing the custom counter by incrCounter method and
for input file connected on rhs, Reporter is called to increment the counter(But this class have empty incrCounter method).

The above problem was faced when using Hadoop2MR1FlowConnector but when I ran the same job using Hadoop2TezFlowConnector, the
counters were successfully generated for both the inputs.

Can someone please provide any solution for this problem?

Cascading version : 3.1.0
Hadoop version : 2.6

Thanks

Prabodh Mhalgi

Sep 13, 2016, 9:05:58 AM9/13/16
to cascading-user
I am facing similar issue. Did find any workaround / resolution for this?

Chris K Wensel

Sep 13, 2016, 2:00:33 PM9/13/16
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
this looks like a bug in Cascading MR, Tez makes the ‘context’ available much earlier so shouldn’t be an issue there.

we are assigning the reporter before we are actually given the actual reporter, so we are ending up with the NULL reporter on those streams.

i’ll see if I can make a fix against 3.1 so we an issue a maintenance release with it resolved. this may take a day or so.

ckw

Chris K Wensel

Chris K Wensel

Sep 13, 2016, 5:48:18 PM9/13/16
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
OK, I do have a trivial fix i’m testing locally before pushing through the build/publish pipeline. should see a 3.1.2 wip out tomorrow morning.

ckw

Chris K Wensel

Chris K Wensel

Sep 13, 2016, 11:24:02 PM9/13/16
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
I had a trivial fix, but a bad test. Just re-worked it, probably won’t see a wip until tomorrow afternoon.

ckw

Chris K Wensel

ANIKET MORE

Sep 28, 2016, 7:19:06 AM9/28/16