Where do you run your main process?

瀏覽次數:15 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

John Lavoie

未讀,
2017年7月10日 上午11:41:182017/7/10
收件者:cascading-user
Hi everyone,

We've been growing unhappy with the design of how we spin up our jobs and are considering making some changes.  I'm curious what everyone else does. The job process is the only single-point-of-failure in our pipeline and we're looking for more robustness as well as more decoupling and dynamic deployment capabilities.

Our app exposes a web service where users can submit requests for processing with various options.  We take those incoming requests and spawn new processes to execute the cascading workflow on the same app server that handles the request.   If there is any hiccup with the job process the entire workflow will fail.  And with some jobs running for multiple hours, restarting, even with checkpoints, is expensive and time consuming.

We are considering moving the the main process that starts our cascading workflow off of the app servers to somewhere else.  Where do you run yours?

John Lavoie

Ken Krugler

未讀,
2017年7月10日 下午6:33:492017/7/10
收件者:cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

We run our workflows on a smaller “controller” in AWS.

We typically wrap jobs with a FlowRunner (class in cascading.utils project) that gives us a way to monitor the workflow execution running in a separate thread.

— Ken

Ken Krugler
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr