Scalding help with ExecutionApp highlighting in IntelliJ

Lakshmi Gopalan

Jun 25, 2015, 3:11:53 PM6/25/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm running Scalding 0.15.0, Scala 2.11.6 and IntelliJ 14.1.4. Pretty new to Scalding.

The ExecutionApp example that I copied from the tutorial doesn't seem to be recognized correctly in IntelliJ for me. However it compiles fine inside and outside of IntelliJ.

Does anyone have the same experience, and any pointers to get past this issue? This is difficult because I'm trying to experiment with nested Executions for my hadoop job in IntelliJ, and with the error highlighting it is hard to see if I'm trying the wrong or right syntax.

Thanks,
lakshmi

Lakshmi Gopalan

Jun 25, 2015, 3:13:56 PM6/25/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com

Oscar Boykin

Jun 25, 2015, 4:26:56 PM6/25/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately IntelliJ gives a lot of false positives with scala code.

I use vim myself and just compile often to test.

I don't have any pointers other than that. If you are using sbt, you can do:

for instance in the scalding repo:

./sbt
~compile

the ~ means do this after each save of the files. This does pretty quick recompilation and works pretty well.

Oscar Boykin :: @posco :: http://twitter.com/posco

Lakshmi Gopalan

Jun 25, 2015, 6:16:48 PM6/25/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Oscar. I've been doing that, but I was just curious if there is any other setting I am missing. I'll continue to work outside IntelliJ when necessary, but mostly it seems to work really well.

On a related note, I am having trouble with my Execution sequencing.  Everything in my job was working beautifully in local mode, but I am having trouble with running the same code with Hadoop mode using the above approach. I started a separate thread here: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cascading-user/QWGWW3wKkXo

Thanks for the prompt response, I appreciate it!

Lakshmi