[scalding] name the steps

Hagai Attias

Apr 18, 2016, 11:46:59 AM4/18/16
to cascading-user
Hi,
How is it possible to supply a meaningful name to the mr steps, instead of the default name of step_num/num_of_steps .

I'm using the Typed API with scalding 0.13.1.

Thanks,
Hagai.

Ken Krugler

Apr 18, 2016, 3:03:10 PM4/18/16
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hagai,

I don’t know the best way to do this with Scalding, sorry.

We do have a nameFlowStep method in the cascading.utils project.

Typically we call this via FlowUtils.nameFlowSteps.

— Ken

--------------------------
Ken Krugler
custom big data solutions & training
Hadoop, Cascading, Cassandra & Solr

td...@foursquare.com

Apr 19, 2016, 8:22:00 AM4/19/16
to cascading-user
In more recent versions of Scalding, call .withDescription on a TypedPipe.

Hagai Attias

Apr 19, 2016, 11:48:28 AM4/19/16
to cascading-user
Which version are you using? I upgraded to 0.15.0 but still don't have that method on a TypedPipe

Thomas Dyas

Apr 19, 2016, 12:01:56 PM4/19/16
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
0.15.1-RC13
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cascading-user/60dbb92e-3554-4ced-aa54-811c06cb3441%40googlegroups.com.

Hagai Attias

Apr 19, 2016, 1:09:31 PM4/19/16
to cascading-user
Thanks. So where should the description appear? in Driven I still see the steps as numbers.

Thomas Dyas

Apr 20, 2016, 9:07:52 AM4/20/16
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com

Bob Taylor

Apr 20, 2016, 11:49:36 AM4/20/16
to cascading-user

Hagai Attias

Jun 20, 2016, 4:30:44 PM6/20/16
to cascading-user
Thanks Thomas, so where should the steps description appear after I used .withDescription?
Also, is it possible to control the steps numbering ? I see an incnosistent numbering between different executions.