IllegalStateException when trying to run flow

andre...@tubemogul.com

Dec 23, 2015, 2:31:30 PM12/23/15
to cascading-user
Hey, we are running into the following error when trying to run our cascading flow

Caused by: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException: java.lang.IllegalStateException: may not mark as FAILED, is already PENDING
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(FutureTask.java:122)
at cascading.flow.BaseFlow.run(BaseFlow.java:1194)
at cascading.flow.BaseFlow.access$100(BaseFlow.java:81)
at cascading.flow.BaseFlow$1.run(BaseFlow.java:870)
... 1 more
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: may not mark as FAILED, is already PENDING
at cascading.stats.CascadingStats.markFailed(CascadingStats.java:494)
at cascading.stats.CascadingStats.markFailed(CascadingStats.java:478)
at cascading.flow.planner.FlowStepJob.start(FlowStepJob.java:194)
at cascading.flow.planner.FlowStepJob.call(FlowStepJob.java:146)
at cascading.flow.planner.FlowStepJob.call(FlowStepJob.java:48)
... 1 more

Has anybody seen this or know why this might be happening?

Thanks,
Andrew

Chris K Wensel

Dec 23, 2015, 2:39:47 PM12/23/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
would be good to know the Cascading version you are on (and in this case the jdk).

it looks like an exception is being throw before the flow is marked as started. this exception unfortunately is hiding the original.

for this to happen, something very fundamental is wrong.

like hdfs is unreachable so we can’t get at the file times etc. or there is missing logging classes from the CLASSPATH

Chris K Wensel

andre...@tubemogul.com

Dec 23, 2015, 3:01:02 PM12/23/15
to cascading-user
We are using Cascading 3.0.2 and jdk 1.7.

andre...@tubemogul.com

Dec 23, 2015, 3:03:54 PM12/23/15
to cascading-user
When we run the flow that is failing in isolation it runs perfectly fine, but when we try to run it as the starting flow to a series of flows, this error comes up. Also, when we try to run the whole series of flows locally, it runs fine as well.

Chris K Wensel

Dec 23, 2015, 3:11:13 PM12/23/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
are you using a custom tap/scheme?

Sarma Tangirala

Dec 23, 2015, 3:20:58 PM12/23/15
On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Chris K Wensel <ch...@wensel.net> wrote:
are you using a custom tap/scheme?

No we aren't.

Sarma Tangirala | Software Engineer
Inline image 1

Chris K Wensel

Dec 23, 2015, 3:29:16 PM12/23/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
in about 4 hours there will be a 3.0.4-wip-153 in maven you can try, or you can build it yourself locally.

this should allow the error to propagate up without being hidden by the state error.

ckw

Sarma Tangirala | Software Engineer
<image.png>