Hfs should report an error when it can not create an output file

alexcozzi

Jun 23, 2010, 1:30:39 PM6/23/10
to cascading-user
I just finished debugging my cascading program: it was failing with an
unhelpful error

Finally I found out that the cause was I put the wrong path in the
output path:
basically this was the problematic line:

new Hfs(new TextDelimited(new Fields("a", "b"), "\t"), "/really/wrong/
path", SinkMode.REPLACE)

and the error was (this is from running in local model, but in
distributed mode I get the same behaviour:)

Exception in thread "main" cascading.flow.FlowException: step failed:
(3/4) ...ks', 'skips', 'impressions', 'ca', 'count']]"]["/Users/
administrator/tt"]"]
at cascading.flow.FlowStepJob.blockOnJob(FlowStepJob.java:173)
at cascading.flow.FlowStepJob.start(FlowStepJob.java:138)
at cascading.flow.FlowStepJob.call(FlowStepJob.java:127)
at cascading.flow.FlowStepJob.call(FlowStepJob.java:39)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask
$Sync.innerRun(FutureTask.java:303)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
$Worker.runTask(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:886)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor
$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:908)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)

I think that Hfs should test and generate a more helpful error message
if it can not create the output file:

Aceeca

Jun 23, 2010, 1:47:47 PM6/23/10
to cascading-user
Hello:

I suspect that the error might be somewhere else, please have a look
at this thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/cascading-user/browse_thread/thread/f63a74607c6cc4b1?hl=en

M.

Aceeca

Jun 23, 2010, 1:48:51 PM6/23/10
to cascading-user
Sorry put in the wrong URL:

http://groups.google.com/group/cascading-user/browse_thread/thread/a395991186325001?hl=en

On Jun 23, 1:47 pm, Aceeca <mahpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I suspect that the error might be somewhere else, please have a look
> at this thread:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/cascading-user/browse_thread/thread/f6...

alexcozzi

Jun 23, 2010, 2:03:47 PM6/23/10
to cascading-user
Actually I am pretty confident that the cause is the wrong path: I did
the experiment:
put an existing path where I have write access, the program run,
put an path where I do not have write access, the program fails with
the error I described. Everything else is the same.

On Jun 23, 10:48 am, Aceeca <mahpa...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sorry put in the wrong URL:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/cascading-user/browse_thread/thread/a3...

Aceeca

Jun 23, 2010, 2:09:57 PM6/23/10
to cascading-user

Yes you may be right, but I think if you look at the log messages you
should see the error regarding the path. All I'm trying to say is that
you may need to look t the correct logs.