Does Scalding/Cascading optimize multiple independent joins on the same dataset?

Nikita

May 19, 2015, 8:54:21 PM5/19/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
I have three typed pipes A, B and C. I'd like to join B with A and C with A. Will scalding/cascading automatically optimize B.join(A.group) and C.join(A.group) to avoid grouping A twice?

Thanks,
Nikita

Oscar Boykin

May 19, 2015, 9:04:15 PM5/19/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com
If you do B.join(A) (no need to write A.group) and C.join(A) that will be two independent map-reduce jobs.

A.group does not do anything unless you do something with the result.

moreover, A.join(B).join(C) is optimized into still just one mapreduce job (if you never go back to typed-pipe and just keep calling methods on CoGrouped).

Oscar Boykin :: @posco :: http://twitter.com/posco

Nikita Lytkin

May 19, 2015, 10:23:35 PM5/19/15
to cascadi...@googlegroups.com