Room 204 Presidential Election

Carp

Sep 16, 2012, 10:50:25 PM9/16/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
In class last week, you were introduced to the nominees for president and vice president of the United States: Republican Senator Arnold Vinick (CA) and his running mate, Governor Ray Sullivan (MI), and Democrat Representative Matt Santos (TX) and his running mate, Secretary Leo McGarry (IL).  This week, we will be examining elections and current political issues using a realistic simulation of a campaign between these candidates.

As we begin this presidential campaign, who do you support in this presidential election?
  • If you are leaning toward Santos/McGarry, what are your reasons?
  • If you are leaning toward Vinick/Sullivan, what are your reasons?
  • If you are undecided, what reservations do you have that keep you from leaning toward one ticket or the other?
Use this opportunity to try and persuade your fellow citizens of Room 204 to ultimately choose your candidate on Friday, September 21, 2012 (Election Day).

We will be watching a debate between Senator Vinick and Representative Santos on Thursday, which might either solidify or soften your support for the candidate you initially choose.  Remember to be true to your beliefs and ideology (revealed through the handy-dandy quiz you took last Friday) as you show up to the polls and cast your vote for the next President and Vice President of the United States of America of Room 204!

k.yang7210

Sep 17, 2012, 8:21:36 PM9/17/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I am still undecided. I kind of like Vinick and.kind of.like McGarry but its not a.full like.for.either. They have good.ideas but I thibk for me, personally its going to take more. Before you can think about any other.country I feel like you should think about yours first. And I also feellike doubling taxes will be a problem

Carp

Sep 17, 2012, 9:37:29 PM9/17/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
It sounds like the debate on Thursday may have an impact on your decision.

Carp

Sep 17, 2012, 9:40:15 PM9/17/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
DRAGONS! Please include a name with the classmate you are responding to, so that I can follow your "conversation".

Haley Mueller

Sep 17, 2012, 9:56:36 PM9/17/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I'm undecided also. They basically use the same reasons on why they should be president. I feel like they should go into more detail.

Daryl Wallace

Sep 18, 2012, 9:55:39 PM9/18/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
im undecided but im pushing towards santos. he wants to give more money to the auto industry to go green and to bail them out of a deficit. He s also giving more money to social programs and people who need it

Dahnye M.

Sep 19, 2012, 7:09:51 AM9/19/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I am pretty dead-set on voting for Santos. He and I share the same pro-choice views along with me being a Liberal--I mean PROGRESSIVE Democrat. Although, Vinick has the same views he is too much of a chicken to stand for what he feels passionate about seeing as he chose someone pro-life to be his running mate.

Jenna Huntley

Sep 19, 2012, 2:50:20 PM9/19/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I am undecided. They both have good platforms for what they would do as President. I agree with some things that Santos offers and I agree with things that Vinick offers. I feel that if in the debate they clarify their points, I will be able to decide on which candidate to vote for.

mikaela crespo

Sep 19, 2012, 6:25:18 PM9/19/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Im leaning more towards Santos.. but i think im also undecided. Both of the candidates have certain things that i agree and disagree with. I would need more detail from both of them ,on what they would do and why they want to be president,, so i can then make my final decision on who to vote for.

Rontay Welton

Sep 19, 2012, 8:07:41 PM9/19/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I have a good feeling I will be voting for Santos/McGarry for multiple reasons. They support a strong economy, which America needs. They also support a strong military and great education.

Haley Mueller

Sep 19, 2012, 10:40:50 PM9/19/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Very good reasons. I'm a democrat, so I would choose Santos. That's not the only reason though. He's not very old like Vinick and what was said before I agree with also.

Daryl Wallace

Sep 21, 2012, 1:06:17 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I agree, but santos is helping the government and the people. Leaving them to run before they walk would force conflicts.

jessica jacobs

Sep 21, 2012, 1:08:22 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree with jenna!!!!<3

Troy Oliver

Sep 21, 2012, 1:09:04 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I think I would vote for Santos, because I lean more towards democratic values and even though people on welfare are just lazy sometimes, there are lots of people who actually need help. In addition, education needs to be better as well, we just aren't cutting it as things are.

luwayne harris

Sep 21, 2012, 1:09:41 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I am leaning toward voting for Santos. The oppositions he proposed appeared to help me. I Like his ideas for the education also.

jessica jacobs

Sep 21, 2012, 1:10:22 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
i am undecided, i like both of their opions and dont like some of the other ones.They have good platforms but vinick is kinda a wimp and santos is kinda a jerk.

Gregory Robinson

Sep 21, 2012, 1:10:42 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I am currently undecided because Santos is trying to add more school days but it seems like he knows what he's doing. On the other hand, Vininck seems like he doesn't know what he's talking about and I'm afraid he is going to put us more in debt.

Sydney Lee

Sep 21, 2012, 1:11:50 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I am leaning towards Matt Santos and McGarry because I believe in what he believes. Vinick wants to cut taxes, and I know that would make a lot of people happy. I disagree with that because I feel we couldn't improve the United States much if we had less money. I agree with a lot of Santos' ideas and i feel like he would make a good president.

Sydney Lee

Sep 21, 2012, 1:12:55 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Why do you think it is bad that Vinick is old?

Autumn Flynn

Sep 21, 2012, 1:13:52 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I fully support Vinick in this presidential debate. I agree with his ideas of cutting taxes to stop the government from getting so involved in everything. I also fully agree with his idea of getting rid of head-start learning. If it is a proven fact that we are spending millions of dollars on an early learning program that isn't working, then we shouldn't have it. We are wasting money that we don't have on something that barely has an affect on children. Starting a young child's education at kindergarten is just fine. Starting then is giving the same education as a head-start program, and saves our country money.

Thomas Sutter

Sep 21, 2012, 1:13:58 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Vinick/Sullivan, his tax cuts are not the most ideal and his thoughts about the relationships between the U.S. and the world do not seem entirly agreeable, but his plan to have the people innovate themselves and a government that encourages it.

Andrew Jimenez

Sep 21, 2012, 1:19:31 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
iam completey supporting Santos. The debate changed my whole perspective of the election. Im leaning towards Santos becuase his pleadge to the military, I also support Santos over Vinick because of his support of education.

Jenna Huntley

Sep 21, 2012, 1:19:32 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I personally think the Vinick is the person that is more of a jerk. From the debate he seemed rude and at times cut Santos off.

Andrew Jimenez

Sep 21, 2012, 1:21:35 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Luwayne, I also like his ideas for education.

k.yang7210

Sep 21, 2012, 1:21:37 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I felt the same way until I saw the whole video that Mr. Carp  so how do you feel about it now?

Autumn Flynn

Sep 21, 2012, 1:25:02 PM9/21/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Troy, yes education needs to be better. Maybe we could spend the money we would be saving by cutting the early learning program on updated books. Schools would love that and kids always love new books. We could even spend the saved money on other things needed in school districts all over the United States of America.

Rontay Welton

Sep 22, 2012, 11:46:35 AM9/22/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Okay Autumn, so Vinick wants to cut taxes. But what else? What is cutting taxes going to solve? Thats going to result in less money for the country as a whole, because Vinick cut taxes. Because there will be less money, there will be less social security and less government assistance programs to those who need it. All because Vinick cut taxes. And as stated by Santos, the only people who are going to get the real tax cuts are the ones who already have millions. So why would you support someone who basically wants to help the rich stay rich, and is essentially saying screw everyone else?

mackenzie rodkey

Sep 23, 2012, 4:27:30 PM9/23/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you there are pros and cons for voting for Santos. However i agree with everything he wants to do for this.country

mackenzie rodkey

Sep 23, 2012, 4:27:30 PM9/23/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com

Skye Chapman

Sep 23, 2012, 5:27:38 PM9/23/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I am leaning towards santos because he has very good points in what he said in the debate. He wants a better education and tell start helping kids at a younger age. He also wants to go green and doesnt want to use nuclear energy. And he supports our troops and wants to save us money . I dont agree that he wants to have school all year but i still support him more than vinick.

Skye Chapman

Sep 23, 2012, 5:29:06 PM9/23/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
*wants to start

Skye Chapman

Sep 23, 2012, 5:34:17 PM9/23/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
I agree with Greg because i feel like vinick didnt know what he was talking about. He just seems rude .

Troy Oliver

Sep 24, 2012, 3:38:59 AM9/24/12
to carps-fi...@googlegroups.com
Skye, I am also leaning towards Santos, but what about Vinick is really so rude?  He just wants to get his point across and make it seem better than what Santos is trying to get across, isn't that pretty much what you should be doing in any good debate?
This conversation is locked