Nuclear heat

Andrew Lockley

Dec 16, 2018, 2:52:45 PM12/16/18
to CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com <CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com>
I've not heard much about nuclear heat in CDR. Sorbent based processes can make use of low grade heat , and this can be easily generated using swimming pool reactors. The advantage of this technology is that it's inherently safe, cheap, unsophisticated, and very well tested. It also doesn't have to be done at particularly large scale, which is helpful for a CDR process that is inherently distributed in nature.

Calcining based CDR can make use of high temperature reactors, which use salts or molten metals as coolants. I have not seen any evidence of research into using high-grade heat in this way.

Similarly, calcining for Ocean liming, as discussed by Tim Kruger, could be done with nuclear heat. This process can potentially be performed enlarged centralised facilities, where the complexity and cost of a high-temperature reactor is not a problem, relatively speaking.

My understanding is that more research effort is going into a low temperature processes, than high-temperature at present. This would fit well with the idea of using nuclear heat, as the benefits of swimming pool reactors or possibly boiling water reactors are well established and obvious.

Is anyone aware of research in this field? If not, it's probably worth knocking out a paper discussing it.

Andrew Lockley

Julio Friedmann

Dec 16, 2018, 3:19:47 PM12/16/18
to Andrew Lockley, CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com <CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com>
Watch this space...

Christophe Jospe

Dec 16, 2018, 3:50:44 PM12/16/18
to Julio Friedmann, Andrew Lockley, CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com <CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com>
Watch this space, or manifest this space? Who is legitimately working on the Nuclear + direct air capture play?

Someone should put a bug in the right person’s ear for some of these such projects to happen at Idaho National lab

Steps on to soapbox..

If the government were to manage a patent pool of environmental technologies and make anything pre-competitive publicly available and open to improve and experiment, then scientists and engineers who think diligently about problems could much more quickly develop a plant design that could iterate in the public domain. It’s not a technology problem but a cooperation problem. But alas our government is run by nincompoops with no foresight, and our greed of presuming we’ll make boatloads of money on licensing future technologies that could have tremendous scale gets in the way of innovation to save the planet. So start-ups work on moon shots at an insufficient pace w/ suboptimal promise of development and scale, big industry players buy up and block patents, and experts run around saying the same things for decades but lack complete information or a weighed down by non disclosure agreements and information that’s kept secret for far too long. /soapbox.

Peter Flynn

Dec 16, 2018, 4:06:26 PM12/16/18
to Christophe Jospe, Julio Friedmann, Andrew Lockley, CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com <CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com>

Michael Lipsett, a graduate student and I developed a conceptual idea of thermal swing adsorption and desorption on a zeolite, using low grade nuclear heat to generate the circulating heading medium to desorb the CO2. The problem is competition for the adsorption sites on zeolite by water. We looked at two locations: the Atacama desert in Chile, and the Vostok plateau in Antarctica, in a search for low ambient humidity. The Atacama, which I think may be the driest desert on earth, was too humid. Vostok, mean temperature for months at the time of our study -30 C , was the only spot with low enough humidity. The work is done as a thesis.

Peter

Peter Eisenberger

Dec 16, 2018, 4:23:28 PM12/16/18
to Cc: Christophe Jospe, fried...@gmail.com, Andrew Lockley, Carbon Dioxide Removal
The nuclear DAC cogeneration power plants do make alot of sense from a heat integration perspective expecially if one can use low grade heat
in the DAC process. High grade heat (eg high temperature ) is much less cost effective and can reduce the amount of electricity produced just as was the issue with CCS
from flue gas. While we are at it the most likely long term combo in my opinion is large concentrated solar together with heat integrated DAC to sequestered carbon
If solar approaches longer term  the 1to2 cts per kwhr costs that are now being prognosticated the whole combo will be  very economically attractive.

CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION: This email message and all attachments contain confidential and privileged information that are for the sole use of the intended recipients, which if appropriate applies under the terms of the non-disclosure agreement between the parties.

Charles H. Greene

Dec 16, 2018, 7:30:36 PM12/16/18
to Peter Flynn, Christophe Jospe, Julio Friedmann, Andrew Lockley, CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com <CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com>
Boeing spent much effort working on zeolite technology for scrubbing CO2 from the International Space Station. Its Phantom Works Ventures scientists and engineers are aware of the technology's DAC potential; so, you should get in contact with them so that you don’t end up repeating what they have already done.

Dennis Amoroso

Dec 16, 2018, 11:06:27 PM12/16/18
to Charles H. Greene, Peter Flynn, Christophe Jospe, Julio Friedmann, Andrew Lockley, CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com <CarbonDioxideRemoval@googlegroups.com>
They did only the first step. We are advanced far beyond that however we do use zeolite in our mixture to create our different blends.  We actually take agriculture carbon negative.
Dennis Amoroso
Plant Nutrition Technologies Inc

Sent from my iPhone