RE: Deep link to vehicle in official Car2Go app

Nico Witteman

Feb 10, 2014, 5:56:52 AM2/10/14
to car2go-...@googlegroups.com
Bernd,
For the function of finding cars, the user does not have to enter his credentials. Only for making and cancelling reservations this is needed. See the documentation.

Nico

Feb 10, 2014, 7:36:08 AM2/10/14
to car2go-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nico,
due to you sent his message directly to my email i will reply to it directly ;)

I know that finding cars is possible without userdata (i will implement as soon as i receive my developer-id ... ;),
but for just doing a reservation (no cancelling) i need OAuth.
And as I wrote before - Users have to enter their userdata in "my" app - pretty sure they can't see or realize it's not my App asking for it and so they might be afraid to give their data to a foreign person.
So my suggestions for this problem would be:
- on Oauth-Login write clearly thats an official c2g-Site and what this site is for
- implement deeplinks for simple events in official app. this would be best solution for the User and for DEVs, cause then all Userdata events are handled by the trustfull original car2go app.

Just my suggestions and probably one day you'll like them ;)

Regards,
Bernd Binder

Bernd,
For the function of finding cars, the user does not have to enter his credentials. Only for making and cancelling reservations this is needed. See the documentation.

Nico

Feb 11, 2014, 2:38:04 AM2/11/14
to car2go-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nico,

first of all: Congratulations to the 3-Medal-Party in Sotchi yesterday for the Dutch Icerace-Team ;)

Probably i am too anxious about userdata.
I'll give OAut a try - as I don't have any other chance ;)

Deep links can be realized for examle as real http-links:

So you can register (as example) the virtual host" car2goapp.com" in your Manifest.
As soon as i provide a link like "http://car2goapp.com/reservation/**car-id**" and the user klicks on it, he will be forwarded to official app where he is authenticated as user already and can process the reservation - of course your app have to catch the link and provide the requested view.
So i dont need OAuth, User have to enter Details only once and me, user and car2go can be sure the reservation works - even you canche API or any other Details in process ;)

This workflow i embedded in one of my apps for Bike-Tracks. If I have a track which i also have in the App 'komoot' (which is a navigation system) i klick on link "open in komoot", the komoot-app is starting and direktly goes to navigation and loading the track specified in Link. For komoot it works with ther common Links they provide on their homepage for tracks http://www.komoot.de/tour/r2180173 . So if you would klick on this Link your mobile asks you to open in Browser or komoot (if komoot installed). Choose komoot and you are done.

Nico, sorry for writing that much, but i love the idea of deep-links, cause you can have a real interaction between apps, which provides much more speed and the user will do certain workflows in the app he is used to ("where he normally does it").

Best Regards from Stuttgart,
Bernd

Nico Witteman

Feb 13, 2014, 2:59:25 PM2/13/14
to car2go-...@googlegroups.com

Hallo Bernd,

And more medals!

User data and protection of them is very important, I agree. The issue is: how do we convince our users that they are in good hands? Oauth is one such method: it abstracts the authorisation from the application. Deep linking might be a good idea if a) it is 100% clear that this is not you app, but the official one (but why would it not be spoofed?), b) the platform allows for it. For Android, you method may work, but for Windows? For Apple? For platforms that are not supported by “official apps” in the first place? I think you create some dependencies here.

Plus, using API’s gives you more freedom over how to implement the functionality.

By the way: I am not related to car2o, this is just my 2 cts. Maybe I am just so glad that I finally mastered the oauth protocol that I will defend it till the very end:-)

Kind regards,

Nico Witteman

Creator of Carthago

www.wittyman.nl/carthago

www.wittyman.nl/carthagowp

Bernd Binder

Feb 15, 2014, 4:52:13 AM2/15/14
to car2go-...@googlegroups.com

Hi Nico,

iOS also supports DeepLinks, and so I think on WinPhones it will work also ;)

About spoofing  to collect userdata:
Who will guarantee, that you do not spoof the OAuth-Page?
I can never see, if the OAuth page is spoofed or not - or do you have any hints?
Using deeplinks i can see if it is original-App or not (requested App ist starting/Taskmanager/Recent Tasks/...)

As you've masterd the OAuth it's now up to you to post a walkthrough for all of us!
Can't wait for it ;)

Best wishes - also for even more medals!

Bernd

Nico Witteman

Feb 16, 2014, 6:34:01 AM2/16/14
to car2go-...@googlegroups.com
Bernd,
It is not the oauth page, it is a page of car2go.com implementing the oauth protocol. the user can check the URL if you show the address bar in the browser.

There is plenty documentation on oauth. Find yourself a good library which hides the details. Finding out how to do it is part of the fun!
Good luck,

Nico