RPG ethics experiment

M. Alan Thomas II

Jul 8, 2015, 6:24:50 PM7/8/15
to car...@googlegroups.com
I'm not qualified to comment on the design or usefulness of this study, so don't consider this an endorsement, but the following study-seeking-funding came to my attention recently. Anyone want to weigh in?

Can playing the Pathfinder roleplaying game teach ethics?

We hypothesize that playing tabletop roleplaying games can result in higher scores on ethical sensitivity surveys. In this study we will focus on participants playing Pathfinder role playing game. We will have at least 50 people play the game with a dedicated dungeon master. With the funding we will be able to compensate the players and the dungeon masters for their time and take surveys on if playing the game increases the average score on ethical sensitivity surveys. The overall goal of the project is to collect data to determine if playing role playing games has a positive effect on one's ethics.

In service,
M. Alan Thomas II