MAPACA call for papers / RPG

Ted Skirvin

May 31, 2013, 8:18:22 AM5/31/13
to car...@googlegroups.com

Call for Papers MAPACA 2013
SCIENCE FICTION & FANTASY AREA
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ

The Mid-Atlantic Popular and American Culture Association (MAPACA) invites academics, graduate and undergraduate students, independent scholars, and artists to submit papers for the annual conference, to be held in Atlantic City, NJ., November 7-9, 2013. Those interested in presenting at the conference are invited to submit a proposal or panel by June 14, 2013. Abstracts should be no more than 300 words long. Include a brief bio with your proposal. Single papers, as well as 3- or 4-person panels and roundtables, are encouraged. All proposals should be submitted via the online system at mapaca.net, where you can also find more information on our organization and our conference.

Science Fiction and Fantasy welcomes papers/presentations in any critical, theoretical, or (inter)disciplinary approach to any topic related to SF/F: art; literature; radio; film; television; video, role-playing, and multi-player online games. Though not an exhaustive list, potential presenters may wish to consider the following:
    Vampire Romance
    Gender and Sexuality
    Race and Otherness
    Class and Hierarchies
    Utopia/Dystopia
    Mythology and Quest Narratives
    Creatures and Aliens
    Science and Magic
    Reading Other Worlds
    Language and Rhetoric
    Genre: Space Opera, Cyberpunk, Dark Fantasy, etc.
    Fans and Fandom/Community Building
    Textual Analysis
    Sociological or Psychological Readings
    Archival Research/History