News roundup

M. Alan Thomas II

Oct 8, 2016, 8:08:30 PM10/8/16
to car...@googlegroups.com
In addition to the things published in the latest Newsletter—email subscriptions to which are now free—a few things caught my eye recently:

A Motherboard profile of the founder of Dwarven Forge: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/meet-the-man-who-raised-millions-crafting-dd-dungeons (the blank image in the attached PDF is a trailer for the documentary about him)

Ewen Cluney has released a mini-RPG satirizing Chick Tracts. He calls it, of course, "Saving Throw." Here's his description: https://www.patreon.com/posts/saving-throw-and-6746288 The game itself is available to his Patreon backers here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/saving-throw-6746323

Censorship in U.S. prisons remains a problem. While this article from The Guardian doesn't mention RPGs, my earliest project for CAR-PGa was studying the issue of RPG-banning in state prison systems: https://www.theguardian.com/books/2016/sep/25/the-banning-of-books-in-prisons-its-like-living-in-the-dark-ages (The feds have historically been much nicer to RPGs, and local jails are too numerous to survey.)

—Alan